017 the second child

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
( the second child )

SEPT 25, 2149DAY THIRTEEN ON THE GROUND

SEPT 25, 2149
DAY THIRTEEN ON THE GROUND

BRAVE ━━━
RILEY PEARCE

" oh, i'm trying, i'm just
trying to be brave. "

"WHAT IS IT?"

The search party stood at the top of a tall hill, their eyes narrowed on something stuck to a bush in the near distance that John had discovered; the unidentified object's metallic material flickering in the long glow of his flashlight.

"Right there, you see it? Is that Octavia's?" John inquired, pointing it out to the group.

"Rope." Bellamy ordered sternly, though worry was shimmering in his irises against the flickering light of his torch.

"Pffft, we don't need any rope." Dakota declared over-exaggeratedly; tripping almost instantly as she began down the grassy slope, proving herself immediately wrong.

Embarrassment spread through hot blush on her cheeks as she tumbled all the way down with a few grunts and huffs, only gaining minor scrapes and bruises as she reached the wet ground at the bottom; Jasper's inappropriately timed snorts and cackles echoing from the hill above her.

"Okay, never mind. Use the rope." she groaned from below, practically caked in mud from the damp earth.

"You okay?" Monroe laughed from where she stood observing her high up.

"Oh, yeah. Just an idiot." she sent a cheerful thumbs up through the dark; a wide, purposefully absurd grin on her dirt-speckled face.

Her heart soared that she had most of the group giggling by now, happy to add a blissful moment of relief in the midst of their nerve-wracking and serious journey; even if it was in the form of a black and blue knot that was surely developing on her aching shin bone. Their chuckles were music to her ears.

Since arriving to the ground, they'd all played different roles in the aiding of their survival. It had taken a while to establish, but there were gatherers, builders, healers, trackers, leaders, and even engineers, chemists, and mechanics. The various positions they assumed were what was keeping them alive; all jobs equally as important to keep the show running. Somehow, Dakota had wound up being camp therapist, and at times, camp clown; her responsibilities seeming to lend itself to keeping everyone sane in difficult circumstances. She wondered if she was doing a good job.