071 day after day

CHAPTER SEVENTY ONE
( day after day )

JAN 27, 2150DAY ONE HUNDRED THIRTY SEVEN ON THE GROUND

JAN 27, 2150
DAY ONE HUNDRED THIRTY SEVEN ON THE GROUND

ADD IT UP ━━━
VIOLENT FEMMES

" day after day, i get angry. "

THE SOUND OF SWORDS CLASHING RANG THROUGH THE AIR, DOMINATING THE LAND LIKE it did most afternoons.

The blades of steel struck loudly, occasionally emitting a bright flash of sparks and stealing the sweet birdsong away. Along with the noise of the razor-sharp weapons came the impassioned shouts from the two girls sparring. Unsurprisingly, those girls were Dakota Thompson and Octavia Blake. Rarely was peace around when they were in each other's company nowadays, as if it had become a foreign principle to them.

Their combat was quick and agile, the two dodging strikes while sending their own faster than a pair of untrained eyes could keep up with. Octavia grunted as the older girl threw a swing at her, leaning back in time for the katana to miss her head. Instinctively, Dakota sprung back, knowing that her move would be met with an attempted jab at the stomach. More yells echoed, the Blake girl huffing when the edge of her foe's blade sent a slash through the arm of her coat; slicing straight through its thick material. The two backed away for a brief moment, chests heaving as their eyes bore into one another; growing darker by the moment— more fiery and determined.

With a loud battle cry, Dakota charged at her with her sword raised; only getting a few more good hits in before Octavia knocked her weapon out of her grip completely. The second she was disarmed, the bottom of the Blake's boot met her chest; sending her crashing onto her back with a thud, the air leaving her lungs. She stared up through squinted eyes, sprawled on the dirt as Octavia scowled down at her; her features hard to focus on against the bright sky. The tip of the blade rested beneath her chin, and she knew she had lost.

But even with the sun's blinding persistence, she could make out the younger girl's downturned lips slowly begin to stretch upwards; the glare in her eyes receding.

"Better." Octavia cocked her head, removing the sword from her throat and sheathing it in its place on her back before offering her friend a hand.

Dakota let out a small scoff. "Always the patronizing tone." The girl grinned down at her and she finally took her hand, grunting as she was pulled back to her feet; brushing the dirt from her leather jacket and subconsciously checking the status of her holstered firearm. "I'm still better with a gun."

"But you're hotter with a sword." Octavia hummed, Dakota impassively chuckling as they began to walk side by side back from the outskirts of Arkadia's tall fences. "The boys still jackassing around in their master class?" Her fingers formed quotation marks at the last words.