040 last night of the world

CHAPTER FORTY
( last night of the world )

OCT 11 & 12, 2149DAYS TWENTY NINE & THIRTY ON THE GROUND

OCT 11 & 12, 2149
DAYS TWENTY NINE & THIRTY ON THE GROUND

SIGN OF THE TIMES
━━━ HARRY STYLES

" we can meet again somewhere,
somewhere far away from here. "

AT SOME POINT, LONG BEFORE THEY HAD ACTUALLY ADMITTED THEY NEEDED ONE ANOTHER, Bellamy Blake and Dakota Thompson had wordlessly chosen each other to learn how to navigate the struggles of this fatal, wonderful planet with. They never intended to, but the two had become so wholly reliant on one another. There was nothing that could've possibly ever prepared them for when they were ripped brutally apart.

But alas, that had yet to come.

"Okay, get it done." Bellamy nodded adamantly to Raven once the risky plan was officially in motion, beginning to storm from the drop ship; headed straight for the danger.

"Wait! Bell, uh..." Dakota quickly stopped him, pulling the boy aside for a moment so the suffering mechanic was out of ear shot.

She stared up at him, experiencing the same paralyzing feeling of words not being able to suffice as she had with Octavia. A war was commencing just outside their walls, bloodshed and gore lurking at every fatal corner. Letting someone you care about merely skip off into the impending doom was wildly difficult to do; it felt nearly impossible. The longer she looked at him, the tighter she subconsciously was clutching onto the sleeve of his coat; knuckles gradually washing white.

"I- I don't wanna let you go." she admitted fraily, a knot tying in her throat from all the exhausting and monstrous day had rendered and would inevitably still require; her body rigid.

Carefully, he brought his hand up to her tense one; laying it gently on top of her's until she released her desperate grip and allowed blood to flow to her fingertips once again.

"It's gonna be okay." he assured her slowly, talking as if she might snap at any moment.

"Watching everyone just walk into battle..." she shook her head, helplessness consuming her.

"I just want to keep everyone safe, a-and I can't."

He cupped her face easily in his wide hands, leaning downward until their foreheads rested against one another; features overcast by their shadows. He stayed like this, held her like this until their breathing synced into the same steady rhythm of rapport. Her eyes shut for a moment as she reached her own hand up to hold gently onto one of his wrists, allowing her anxiety to melt away under his potent touch. Their closeness refreshed the both of them, basking in each other's presence and letting the tension fall gradually form their shoulders as they breathed in the familiar scents.