031 beauty in far from beautiful things

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
( beauty in far from beautiful things )

OCT 7 & 8, 2149DAYS TWENTY FIVE & TWENTY SIX ON THE GROUND

OCT 7 & 8, 2149
DAYS TWENTY FIVE & TWENTY SIX ON THE GROUND

SOLDIER ━━━
FLEURIE

" solider keep on marching on,
head down till the work is done. "

DAKOTA AND MONTY WERE HARING THROUGH THE FOREST TOWARDS THE INFAMOUS BRIDGE AS FAST as they knew how; weaving desperately through the thick sea of trees as they yearned to reach their best friend. Their legs burned, their bodies ached; but they didn't care.

The Green boy had one of their assault rifles securely in his arms, both of them severely out of breath as they jumped over tree roots; Dakota proud of herself for only tripping once the course of their entire trip. Slowly, running through the woods was becoming easier as her endurance continued to sky rocket on earth, but still wasn't necessarily easy.

Monty had explained to Dakota on the way that he had seen Jasper's face before he departed with Finn to chase after Raven- who had courageously gone to plant the bomb herself- and he knew he was absolutely panicking about having to make the shot. The one shot that determined everything for the hundred; the fate of every sky person on earth. Unsurprisingly, he had been right; the pair finding a wide-eyed Jasper at the bridge with his gun just as he shakily fired the shot. Missing by a mile.

"You call that shooting?" Monty yelled, the two ducking urgently under a branch to reach him.

"Monty, Dakota?!? Last time was a fluke, I-I-I panicked." Jasper stammered frantically; humongous, terrified eyes darting between his two best friends.

"So what? You still made the shot, right?" Monty exclaimed.

"Twice." the Jordan boy breathed fearfully, attempting to control his fervid feelings of fright as he was quickly handed the gun; propping it up on the tree stump for better aim.

"How many rounds?"

"Three."

Dakota rushed to his other side, hand reassuringly on his shoulder. When her gaze caught sight of the
oncoming platoon of grounders ready to slaughter her and all her friends, she froze momentarily. They really had started a war.

"Jas, look at me." she respired quiveringly, their bulging eyes of horror locking; the girl addressing him purposefully and truthfully.

"You can do this, okay? We believe in you."

He felt his heart swell with a million emotions; knowing he did not deserve their help. But he also knew never, not ever would they abandon him even in the middle of a fight. Like Dakota would say, that's not how they rolled.