047 outsiders

CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN
( outsiders )

OCT 14, 2149DAY THIRTY TWO ON THE GROUND

OCT 14, 2149
DAY THIRTY TWO ON THE GROUND

ATMOSPHERE
━━━ JOY DIVISION

" see the danger,
always danger. "

"CAN I SIT?"

Fox looked up at the familiar sound of Dakota's voice, still sitting on the edge of the bottom bunk. She gave a glum nod, her features downcast as her saddened gaze quickly returned to her lap; the Thompson girl taking a seat beside her. A brief lapse of silence rolled over them before the 18 year old started talking.

"I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I love the drawing you gave me."

Fox turned to her, her brown eyes glassy, making her older friend's heart ache at their downhearted shimmer. The young girl noticed the piece of art that highlighted the Blake siblings still in Dakota's grasp.

"It didn't feel like you did." she softly responded, the hurt constricting her sensitive heart so evident in her quiet tone.

"I know, and I'm sorry. It's just... it's so good, that it made me miss them more than usual."

She blinked, straightening her spine and knitting her brows.

"Really?"

"Yeah! It felt like I was looking right at them and it just made me wish I could hug them both. But I truly do love it Fox, and I hope you know how insanely talented you are. Thank you for this." Dakota spoke sincerely, the young girl soon smiling and wrapping her arms around her in a hug; spirits lifted once again.

"Okay, can I show you another one I made then?" she grinned, Dakota chuckling at the 180 in her mood and her sudden eagerness; nodding nonetheless.

"Yeah, of co—"

"Kody!"

The smile faded from her face when her eyes met the serious miens of Jasper and Monty approaching them, Fox grunting quietly as she quickly climbed up the ladder to reach her top bunk— where she was keeping her sacred art stash.

"Hey, Fox? Can we rain check the other drawing for a little while?"

Grumbles and complaints sprung to the 15 year old's tongue, but when she saw the unhappy looks plastering the faces of the usually fun-loving, herb-smoking dorks, she quickly nodded.

"Thanks." the Thompson girl breathed, distracted already as she hurriedly followed the two boys out into the hallway.

"Did you find them?!" she asked eagerly, the second they were out of ear-shot of the large dorm.