010 trillium grandiflorum

CHAPTER TEN
( trillium grandiflorum )

SEPT 19, 2149DAY SEVEN ON THE GROUND

SEPT 19, 2149
DAY SEVEN ON THE GROUND

DAKOTA AWOKE TO SCREAMS. Her ears were up before she was, promptly sending an alert through the rest of her body as it captured the noise of the terror-filled howl; causing her to shoot straight up in full responsiveness. Immediately she was on her feet, the girl getting better and better at swift reactions to danger with each passing day on earth.

"Stay with Jasper." Clarke instructed the group rapidly, not even looking over her shoulder at them as she advanced across the room.

"Please." Dakota quickly added for politeness on Clarke's behalf, starting briskly down the ladder rung by rung; the Griffin girl following closely behind her.

"Like hell I am." Octavia scoffed- unsurprisingly- as her and Finn clambered to their feet.

Dakota only paused when the petrified screech rang out again, it's ludicrous volume surely waking the whole camp by now, panic spiking in her chest as she instantaneously recognized the voice; Fox.

"No, no, no." she muttered under her breath, the irrational five seconds of fearlessness she had unexpectedly felt evaporating entirely as she quickened her steps downstairs; her hands beginning to shake.

The unwelcome image of Fox being harmed began to plague her mind, willing Dakota to move even faster down the ladder; the idea of the girl being mangled by an animal or swallowed by acid fog causing her heart to hammer against her ribcage. She raced outside, pushing herself through the long curtains of the drop ship; finding that both Bellamy and Miller had beat her to the camp yard, fully alert just as she was. Many other delinquents began to flood out of their tents and sleeping spots at the noise.

It was only the crack of dawn, the sky still drenched a dark shade of navy blue as the sun took its time ascending from below the curvature of the earth; the air cold and crisp in the early morning, birds beginning to euphoniously sing in the frigid daybreak. Dakota hadn't viewed the earth at this time of morning yet, and usually she would have reveled in the new and beautiful experience, but right now she had only one priority.

"Where is she?" she urgently rushed over to the two boys as the screams continued to tear through the forest; Bellamy's hand resting on the axe attached to his waistband as his eyes scanned the perimeter.

"Does it look like we know?!" Miller retorted impatiently, though Dakota took no offense to him snapping at her; knowing he had spoken from a place of pure stress.