Part 43: Where it all Began

The weather felt fantastic, sure the cold was coming in hot, badum-chi, but all in the falls were together for their annual Thanksgiving celebration. All kinds of foods put on on tables, little doors open up allowing people to take out whatever they wanted without the flies crawling all over. Honestly, it was a simple invention McGucket made but lord if everyone was ready to just leave the food out like heathens.

" Get it while it's hot, my special blend of spices on a turkey that would knock yo' Momma out! " Sheriff Blubs was always one to show off his cooking, he and the Deputy had because a bit of homebody after they got recruits to watch over the town. Didn't stop them from showing up when they were needed... or when they were bored. 

" You tell them Hubs. " Deputy Durland would give his encouragement as their platter was drawing a good crowd, needless to say honestly everyone was tasting and enjoying themselves to the best of their ability. Even Pacifica had overlooked a couple of chefs to make sure they were perfectly making her recipe.

" Hey Blubs, Mr. Blubs! Oooh, do you guys have dressing?! " Mabel would ask as she perked over their table, looking through the bowls and finding it sure enough after the two laughed softly.

" Of course Mabel, we saw your blog. My dear Deputy here told me all about it and I made sure to whip up my best stuff for you. " The Sheriff would smile wide under his mustache and shades, the Deputy brought over a disposable bowl and plate for Mabel as she was quick to fill up both, setting the bowl over her green beans so she could give each a single-arm hug and wander away and nibble on her next meal.

Stanley would be enjoying Susan's cooking more so than sampling others, no surprise there, but Ford was walking with Robert and Wendy while Dan and the boys all were not too far off to chat and catch up some, Dan meeting Robert was a bit awkward this late, but hell if it didn't seem a good time.

" Robert! " Dan called out, the boys shifting to Wendy's side as they all looked over the food and Ford would point out little details that made it clear what would taste best, but Wendy patted his back just teasing him a bit as the boys all chuckled, trying out his suggestions first to compare soon with the next row.

" Yes, Dan? " Robert had stopped as everyone went on their way and soon enough Dan stood beside Robert, towering him a little but it was mostly his bulky build that made him stand out.

" I want to say it is nice to meet you, Mabel has been a great help with getting my website all spruced up to look more appealing, my boys are still learning but they watched her like a hawk to learn what they could. "

" That's great, Ya Mabel was always the designer. Nothing could stop her, if anything dared try well... Mason would always be there to take care of her. " Robert looked off to see Mabel snagging a few pieces of turkey from Susan's set up, having brought Stan some other foods to be fair to everyone.

" Mason... was that Dippers real name? " Dan looked confused as he really did not know, he was fine with Dipper and just always saw it as a clever play on the boy's birthmark. " I mean... is. " Dan catching himself as he knew the subject wouldn't be easy for Robert, so many times having misspoken around Wendy. Though Wendy was far more likely to forgive her old man.

" No no, don't worry I... it's not easy to come to terms with but, after losing my wife, I swore I would protect my children however I could. Seems it wasn't good enough. " Robert smiled, it wasn't hiding anything since his pain was open in his words, not trying to make it all too obvious. Soon enough though Dan gripped his shoulder and gave him a slight shake.

" Hey now, those kids are two of the bravest I know, stronger than I like to admit. When your boy showed up I thought hell would break loose... but it stirred something in my sweet baby girl that made her start smiling again after they hashed it out. He is something if he makes a Courdaroy mad and still comes out alive. " Dan puffed out his chest, flashing that wide burley grin from beneath a rather well-kept beard. " You and your misses raised two fine children. One who saved my girl time and again, without expecting anything in return. Can't be anything else that shows how good you did. " His voice becoming stern to huff the point right at Robert.