chapter fifteen.

Marley's POV:

The plane ride was long. We had a layover in Colorado and by the time we had arrived, it was already 7:00 in New York. It felt like we had been on airplanes and at the airport all freaking day long. I had slept the whole first plane ride, but I didn't sleep at all from Colorado to New York. I was feeling so anxious to be coming back here. I was both excited and nervous at the same time. I definitely wasn't expecting to come back so soon. Or at all. This place just had a lot of bad memories that I didn't really want to bring back. But the city itself was beautiful; I loved doing homework in the little cafes that were scattered around, taking walks in Central Park, and all of the great places to shop. But the awful memories of Lincoln's death, having no friends, and being alone in our house overwhelm those wonderful things I love about the city.

JFK was crowded as usual, it took forever for us to get our baggage. We stepped out into the slightly chilled, New York air; Wes was in awe. Taxi cabs, bright lights, the never-ending swarms of people, homeless men sitting on the streets, tall skyscrapers. I have to admit, I really did miss the hustle and bustle of this place. "Wow. New York is incredible! I can't believe I've never been here before." I smiled up at him, he looked like a child on Christmas morning. I let go of his hand to hail a taxi. A few seconds later one pulled up and Wes loaded our things in, as I told the driver where to take us. I said my old address, and it felt just like an old habit. Get in the taxi, tell him my address, pay, and arrive at an empty home. I was less than thrilled to be staying at my parents place, I knew nothing good would come from it-just bad memories and feelings. As if he could read my mind, Wes put his arm around my shoulders, pulling me against his chest and whispered into my ear, "Mar, it's gonna be just fine. And if you can't handle being at the apartment, we can go get a hotel room okay?" I looked up at him, meeting my lips with his. They were warm and soft, I instantly felt comfortable. I pulled away slightly and smiled. "You're so good to me." I put my head back on his shoulder and I felt him kiss the top of my head.

Minutes later, the taxi pulled up to the curb. I looked out the window to see my old apartment building. All the lights of the fourth floor were off, which meant grandma and grandpa were probably out. I took a deep breath and stepped out of the car, holding Wesley's hand tightly. We got our things out of the trunk and headed inside. I fumbled through my purse and eventually found the apartment key. I got the door open and we headed in, the faint smell of coffee and cigarette smoke looming in the air. I felt the tears coming, my throat closing up. I dropped my bags to the floor and just stood there, staring down the hallway. This was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Wes turned around when he noticed I wasn't following him. I stood there in front of the living room looking at him, blinking back tears. He tilted his head to the side, looking at me with sadness and understanding. He dropped the bags to the floor and rushed back to me, wrapping me in his embrace. That's when I broke down and let the tears fall freely. I could feel Wesley's rough hands combing through my hair, rubbing my back, whispering comforting things in my ear. "Let's go get a hotel room, this is clearly too much for you right now. C'mon babe." He pulled me back and kissed my forehead. "Wes no. It's fine. I can't do this, I promise." He looked down at me with concern written all over his face. "Marley....." He brushed away a stray tear from my cheek with his thumb. "Wes really, it's okay. The smell of my dads cigar and the coffee my mom used to make just made me realize how much I've really missed them these last few weeks. But it's okay, this is something I have to do and as long as I have you by my side I'll be just fine." I smiled up at him and pulled him back in for a hug. "I'm always going to be here for you, Marley."

Wesley's POV:

We went to bed early after eating dinner which consisted of some McDonald's from down the street. We were both exhausted from the plane ride and Marley's emotional breakdown earlier. Tomorrow was going to be a long day. She fell asleep in my arms the instant we got in bed. I looked down at her, she looked so peaceful and beautiful. I can't even comprehend what she's going through right now. I can't imagine losing both of my parents. I mean, my parents divorce was hard enough. But death? It was absolutely awful. It made me sick to my stomach. But I knew I needed be strong for Marley, I was her rock throughout this whole thing.

The sun was blaring through the windows. I checked my phone for the time, 7:45. Marley was still fast asleep. I figured is let her sleep for as long as she could. I quietly slipped out of the bed and headed into the bathroom. I quickly showered, put my dress pants on and did my hair. I walked back into Marley's old bedroom to find my button-down shirt and tie. I opened the door and found Marley shuffling through her suitcase. I walked over to her, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind. "Good morning sunshine. How'd you sleep?" She turned around to face me, putting her arms around my neck. "I slept great. I always do when I'm in your arms." I pressed my forehead against hers and closed my eyes, taking this moment in. I loved waking up to this beautiful girl every morning. She was seriously the bet thing to have ever happened to me. I pressed my lips gently against hers before pulling back. "Help me tie my tie?" She giggled and helped me button up my shirt and do my tie. She pecked my cheek and went to the bathroom to do her hair. She came out a few minutes later looking stunning. Her long brown hair was pulled up into a messy bun and she was wearing a pale pink dress with these killer black heels on. Holy shit did she look hot. "Babe, you need to dress up more often. Damn." She blushed and pushed me back. Her smile faded and she just kinda stood there, staring at the floor. "Hey, hey, hey, it's okay Mar. We're gonna make it though today, okay? I'm here." I pulled her up to my chest and wrapped my arms around her little body. She pulled back and took a deep breath, nodding her head. "You're right. It'll be fine. We should probably go. I just want to get this over with." I took her hand and lead her out of the apartment.

Marley's POV:

The funeral was a beautiful service. I spent the majority if it crying on Wesley's shoulder. Afterwards there was a little luncheon at an office building my parents owned. I honestly didn't want to go at all. The last thing I wanted to was sit there and listen to people I didn't know tell me how sorry they were. I stayed glued to Wesley's side the entire time. "You ready to peace out? I'm feeling like some ice cream." Wes shot me that million dollar smile of his and I quickly agreed. It had been about an hour and a half since the funeral had ended and I was exhausted--both physically and mentally.

We walked out of the building, towards the nearest ice cream parlor. I slipped my heels off, holding them in one hand and Wesley's hand in the other. "How you holding up?" He squeezes my hand. "I'm okay." I answered simply. I didn't know what else to say. "Well maybe some cookie dough ice cream will cheer you up." Wes grins down at me and holds the door open. I can't help but smile. One, because Wesley's smile is so infectious and two, because he knows my favorite ice cream flavor. We sit at a cute little table outside. The weather is perfect and I think about how lucky I am. Yes, my parents and brother are gone, but here I am with this incredible boy who has blessed my life. I really don't know what I would do without him, especially during this hard time. He always knows why to say and how to make me laugh. And he's sexy as hell. What more could I want in a guy? I mean seriously. He notices me staring at him and cocks his he'd to the side. "What? Is there ice cream on my face?" He quickly wipes his mouth with the back if his hand. I giggle and grab the back of his neck, grasping his hair in between my fingers and pull him in for a kiss. "I love you."

--guyyyyyys! over 15,000 reads?! you're so damn awesome, i love you all!!!! and all of your comments just make me smile SO much...!! keep it up (:

here's marleys' outfit for the funeral: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=68450850

and thanks for being patient with me. i have a tough school schedule this semester. i'm trying to get into a program for my major and it's super stressful. but i'm going to be updating as MUCH as i can! i promise, i don't want to let you lovelies down. keeping reading and remember to vote, vote, vote!!! xoxo