chapter fourteen.

Marley's POV:

It was was about 4:00 when we pulled up to the Stromberg House. We got out of the car and unloaded our bags "Do you want me to take you to your grandparents house?" I nodded and Wesley took my hand, leading me out to his car. He kept hold of my hand the whole car ride and when we got there, he opened my door for me. As soon as I was out, his strong arms pulled me close to him, holding me tightly. "You're gonna be okay." I nodded my head against his head chest. I pulled away slightly, taking a deep breath. He looked down at me and pulled my chin up so he could look into my eyes. "I love you. Call me when you're ready to go home and I'll come get you." He kissed me and then was gone.

When I walked into the house, it was silent. I wandered into the kitchen to find my grandma leaning against the counter. "Hey.." She turned around, giving me a sad smile. "Hey baby girl." Her voice broke and she walked over to me. We put our arms around each other and cried. It was good to have someone else who knew what I was going through. Not that I didn't appreciate everything Wes and the fam had done last night, it was just nice to be with my grandma who was suffering just like me. Eventually we pulled away and my grandma grabbed a box of Kleenex, sitting on the couch. I sat next to her, curling up against her side. She put her arm around me. "Where's grandpa?" I realized I hadn't seen him. "He went put for a walk this morning. He's been gone all day...." He must be taking this hard, he's such a homebody. He hardly ever leaves the house if he doesn't have to. "So.......what happened?" I had hung up the phone yesterday before she had the chance to explain. It was just too much to process. She let out a sigh. "Your parents had booked a flight to come out and surprise you. They had some free time away from work and wanted to come out to see your new place and be here for your birthday." My birthday. It was always a tradition for us to go out for ice cream and a movie on birthdays. I was kind of bummed we weren't going to be doing it this year since we were on opposite sides of the country. It was the one thing we still did as a family after Lincoln had died. I had mentioned to my mom the last time I talked to her, that I wished they were going to be here. Of course they booked a flight out here, if I had just kept my mouth shut, they would still be here. It was my fault they were dead. I wanted to cry, but there were no tears left in me.

Around 9:30 I texted Wes,

        --Marley Miles 
           I'm ready for bed..come get me?

He texted back almost instantly,

       --Wesley Stromberg  
          I'll be there in two.

I hugged my grandma goodbye and sat on the porch to wait for Wes. He pulled up about a minute later, and I climbed into the passenger seat. He leaned over and kissed me. "You okay?" I didn't really have an answer for that question. "I'm just tired." That was the best I could come up with. He looked at me with a concerned look on his face, but he put the car in drive and drove to my place not pushing the question any further.

Wesley's POV:

I waited for hours for Marley to call me. I had been staring at my phone for the last 4 hours. "Dude staring at your phone isn't going to make her call any faster." I shot Drew a glare, then went back to looking at my phone. I felt Drew's hands on my shoulders. "Wes she's gonna be okay. Just give her some space, she needs some family time. She'll call soon enough." He was right, I needed to calm down a little. Finally around 9:30 my phone buzzed. I texted back and ran out to my car, grabbing my bag for the night.

When we got to Marley's apartment, she went straight to her bedroom and got under the covers. I set my bag down and crawled in next to her, pulling her into my chest. She nuzzled her head into the crook of my neck and I played with her hair. Minutes later she looked up at me. "Will you sing for me?" I smiled, and softly began to sing Indigo. I pretty much thought of this song as ours now. It always reminded me of the day we met. Afterwards I started to sing My Calling, and Marley looked up at me smiling. She kissed my jawbone before putting her head back down on my shoulder. I sang a few other songs and before I knew it Marley was fast asleep. I kissed the top of her head and closed my eyes.

The next few days went into funeral preparations. The funeral was on Thursday in New York, and Marley asked me to come with her. Her grandparents were already there, so we were just meeting them. Wednesday morning Drew and Keaton dropped us off at the airport. "Love you Mar, be safe. Everything is gonna be okay in the end." Keaton pulled Marley in for a long hug. "Call me whenever, especially when you can't handle Wes anymore." She giggled that adorable laugh of hers. Drew pulled her into a bear hug. "Love you sis, be safe and try to have an okay time. Make Wes take you shopping." We said our final goodbyes before boarding the plane. We found our seats with ease. I took Marley's hand in mine, as we waited for takeoff.

--sorry the last few chapters have been depressing!!! the next one will be sad too ): but I'm gonna pick it up after that, I promise! thank you guys for being the best readers ever!! keeping voting and commenting- i'd love feedback. xoxo