chapter thirty-one.

Wesley's POV

"It's Marley." A million and one things raced through my head the moment Drew muttered those two words. I practically dropped my phone as I raced into the living room, grabbing my car keys off the kitchen table and sprinting out the front door.

"What do you mean? What happened? Is she okay? Oh my God." I fumbled with the keys, trying to unlock the car door.

"She's okay. She's at the hospital. I'm driving there right now, want me to come and get you?" Drew sounded stressed out.

"No, I'm already on my way." I pulled out of the parking lot, my heart pounding inside my chest. "Dude, what the hell happened?"

"I don't really know. I got a phone call from her just a few minutes ago, but it wasn't her on the phone. It was some guy saying he found her passed out on the beach. He just said he had taken her to the hospital and he was going to wait for me to get there." Guilt swept over me. I knew I shouldn't have let her go alone. This was all my fault. "Look dude, I just got here so just call me when you do too. I'll see you in a sec. And Wes?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't blame yourself. This isn't your fault."

I reached the hospital in record time, running just about every stop sign and red light. I ran into the lobby to find Drew sitting in the back corner with his head in his hands.

"Drew!" I called out and I jogged over to him. He looked relieved to see me.

"C'mon. Marley wants to see you."

I immediately got butterflies in my stomach, but not the good kind. "Is she okay?"

He just looked down at his shoes. "I think you just need to go in there and talk to her, yeah?"

I had this pit in my stomach. One that I didn't think was going to go away any time soon. I followed Drew to the elevator and we rode up to the 5th floor in silence. He lead me to her room, stopping outside the closed door. He gave me a weak smile and told me he'd be down in the cafeteria. I walked into her room and shut the door quietly behind me. I looked at the girl sitting in front of me. She looked so small in the hospital bed, the blankets swallowing her up. Her face was pale, she looked sick. Her brown eyes lit up when she saw me walk into the room. I made my way over to the bed.

"Hey baby."  I sat down on the edge of the bed, taking her hands in mine. "How are you feeling? I was so worried about you, I shouldn't have let you go without me. I knew something would happen. But I guess all that matters now is that you're safe and-"

"Wes, I have a brain tumor." 

My heart stopped beating, everything seemed to freeze. "Wh- what?" I choked out.

She gulped and turned her head to the side, closing her eyes. "That's why I haven't been able to remember stuff... It's because I have a tumor. It's not because of the crash."

I just stared at her. I couldn't believe that any of this was real. I couldn't seem to find the words to speak. I simply stood up from the bed and walked to the other side of the room, trying to collect my thoughts. Marley's small voice brought me back to reality.

"If you don't want anything to do with me anymore it's okay."

I whipped my head around and stared at her in utter disbelief. "You seriously think I don't want to be with you? Because of what? The fact that you're sick? You really think I would just fucking leave you all on your own, when you need me the most? Do you not think that I love you? Don't ever say anything like that again, okay?" I stormed over to her bed and held her face in my hands. I looked into her big, beautiful brown eyes, letting her know just how serious I was about her, about us. I crashed my lips down onto hers.

"I love you so much."

I stayed at the hospital until visiting hours were over. Marley was going to be released in the morning, after they got the rest of her test results back. I kissed her lips one last time before heading out the door.

"I'll be here first thing in the morning, okay?"

She nodded her head and smiled. I shut the door, making my way to the elevator. I don't remember leaving the building or walking through the parking lot to my car, or how long I had been sitting in my car, staring at the steering wheel. But at some point everything hit me like a ton of bricks all at once, and I cried. I cried because I didn't know what else to do, because there was nothing for me to do. Marley was seriously sick and there was absolutely nothing I could do to help her. And the worst part of it all, was that she was forgetting everything. She was forgetting who she was as a person these last few months, who the boys were, who I was. And that scared me. There was a 85% chance that after chemo and surgery, the tumor would be gone and she would be okay. But that 15% is what scared me the most. That 15% could mean the worst for us, and more importantly for Marley.

i'm baaaaaaaaaack! hahah GUYS I'VE MISSED YOU. ugh and i'm so so so so sorry that i haven't updated in literally forever. 

so i've taken the story back from alexis--she's gone MIA :( but she did such an incredible job with it while she was writing. her idea was the whole brain tumor thing, and i personally think it's brilliant. the story will probably wrap up in the next 5-10 updates..... :( but i'm excited for you guys to read what i have in store for the ending!!

finals are next week and i have a LOT of studying to do if i wanna pass my classes. hahah soooo another update of either this story or hate at first sight will probs be when i'm done with school.

so let me know what you think dolls! i'm excited to be back (:

VOTE & COMMENT! xoxo