chapter thirty.

Marley's POV:

The hot water pelted against my back as I stepped into the steaming shower. I gritted my teeth as it stung against my slightly sunburnt back. I told Wes that if the cut on my ankle looked worse tomorrow, he could take me to the hospital. Today, I just wanted to relax and not worry about anything that was going on at the moment. I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my soaking body, carefully padding to my room so I wouldn't leave wet footprints on the hardwood floors. I jumped when I saw Wes sitting on the edge of my bed. A smile spread across his lips when he saw me. "Hey beautiful," he said in a hushed tone. I could feel my cheeks burning as I shifted my weight uncomfortably, trying to cover as much of my naked body with the towel as I could. "I gotta change," I said, motioning for him to leave the room. He rolled his eyes as he stood up. "Nothing I haven't seen before.." he trailed off as he turned the corner down the hallway. I let the damp towel fall to the ground as I dug through my drawer for a sports bra and some running shorts. I slipped on a tank top and my tennis shoes and slicked my long, thick hair back into a pony tail. I needed to run, to clear my mind and expel some nervous energy. I grabbed my headphones off my nightstand and plugged them into my phone, walking out of my room and toward the front door. "I'm going for a run," I said over my shoulder as I twisted the knob. Wes shifted his glance from the TV to me and immediately sat up. "Do you need me to come with you?" He asked. I raised my eyebrows as I turned to face him. "Why would I need you to come with me?" I asked, confused. "Uhm.. I don't know, I just wanna make sure you're okay," he said quietly. "Just because my memory is messed up doesn't mean I can't go for a jog by myself," I retorted. He tilted his head to the side, fixing his worried eyes on mine. "You've had a rough couple of days. Remember what happened when you went surfing alone?" he asked. I rolled my eyes, opened the front door and slammed it behind me, a little harder than I had intended. A wave of anger swept over my entire body. Not because I was angry at Wes, but because I was angry at myself. I was angry at my screwy memory. If I couldn't go surfing alone, and Wes was concerned about me going for a run alone, what was going to happen to me? Was I going to have to be under someone's constant watch? I wasn't a child, or an elderly person in a nursing home. I didn't need anyone to look after me. My pace quickened as I set foot on the boardwalk, blasting the music on my phone into my headphones. I could feel the salt air envelope my skin as I began to jog along the hot cement. Although there were several beach goers around, I felt like I was completely alone. I felt independent for the first time in days. Yes, I loved how much Wesley cared about me and that he was dedicated to taking care of me. But I felt smothered. I could feel warm beads of sweat trickling down my forehead, and I reached up to wipe them away with my forearm. I felt a little lightheaded, but I assumed that it was just because I was out of shape. I brushed it off and kept running. I didn't know where I was running to, but I didn't want to stop.

Wesley's POV:

I wasn't expecting her to slam the door like that. I knew she was angry, not necessarily at me but just in general. I literally had to fight the urge to get up and go after her. I knew she'd be perfectly fine out there alone, but I couldn't help but worry. I blame myself for everything else that's happened to her. There was this voice in the back of my head telling me to go after her, that I'd regret it if I didn't. Suddenly the front door opened and I saw Drew walk in, uninvited as usual. "What's up?" he asked, heading straight to the fridge and grabbing himself a bottle of water. "Nothing, really," I said, leaning back on the couch and flipping on the TV. "Got any plans before rehearsals?" he asked. I looked at him and shook my head. "Where's Mar?" Drew cocked his head to the side. "She went for a run," I said, my body tensing up. He could tell I was anxious, he always could. "Dude, relax. She's a grown ass woman, she's fine," he said, walking over and sitting down next to me on the couch. "I'm just worried that things are never gonna be the same," I said, running my fingers through my hair. Drew let out a deep sigh before turning to face me. "Bro, worrying is only gonna make things worse. Just keep your chin up," he said before patting me on the back and standing up. "I'm going to go run some errands, I'll swing by to pick you up later," he said. I nodded as he headed back out the door. I tried to pass the time by doing some of Mar's laundry for her. I was loading her clothes into the dryer when I heard my phone ringing in the kitchen. My heart sped up as I raced to answer it, but I calmed down once I saw it was Drew's name across my phone screen. As soon as I answered it I heard Drew's heavy breathing on the other side of the line. "What's up?" I asked. He paused a minute before answering. "It's Marley."

--here's the long awaited chapter!!!!! Alexis's computer erased everything she had written so se had to start from scratch. Thanks for being patient with her!!

VOTE AND COMMENT!! Let her know what a killer job she's doing (:

xoxo