Chapter 12: How Long Can You Walk In A Dark Forest Before Someone Gets Hurt? (2)

"Man the Dark Continent sure is dark." Junpei comments.

"Pretty sure that's why it's called the Dark Continent." You remark, following after Takuya who was lagging at the rear of the group with his arms behind his head. Oddly enough Kouji was the one leading everyone.

"You know guys, the more I think about it the more I think I really did beat that guy." Everyone except you groans at Takuya. "I can't believe an attack that powerful wouldn't do something serious to him. Ya know...?" Takuya pouts when no one pays him any mind. "Fine."

"Do you guys hear something that sounds like someone talking?" Junpei inquires.

"Not me, but if I did hear that I'd say it's getting pretty annoying." Kouji answers.

Takuya fakes a laugh. "Ha ha, very funny guys, you can play your little game all you want but I'm telling you that guy is toast, there is just no way he could stand there and take that fire attack of mine."

"Yeah right, were you in some other fight?" Kouji queried. "He took all of our attacks and didn't even flinch."

"Ah, so you can hear me now huh? Well, riddle me this smart guy, how can you be so sure of what happened after you all made us run away." Takuya interrogates in an irritable tone.

"Takuya, it was the smartest option to run away." You join in only to regret it when Takuya glowers at you.

"How would you know Y/n, you just stood there watching us all get beat up, you didn't even help." Kouji glares at Takuya.

"I..." You couldn't think of a justifiable reason as to why you did what you did. "Sorry..."

"She was rightfully afraid of the guy Takuya, don't be so mean to her." Izumi comes to your defense.

"So? I was afraid and I still fought him. We all were, but somehow it's okay that she gets to sit on the sidelines?" Takuya hotly questions.

You troubledly look down to the ground, not knowing how to respond to him in a way that would satiate him.

Y/n! Want me to punch him for you? He should know better than to mess with my host.

It's fine Zaeramon, he's just acting like a moody teenager... plus he does have a point...

"...Do you really think he's still alive?" Izumi asks Kouji, trying to change the topic.

"No doubt about it at all." He answers. "None of us did any serious damage to him at all."

"Bah, whatever. Next time we see him, we'll beat that eyeball-covered freak to a pulp."

The three up front ignore Takuya once more. "What are we going to do now?"

"I don't know, let's find a safe place and think about it." Kouji suggests.

Tomoki stops. "Is there really a safe place in this world?"

You approach Tomoki, getting ready to say something reassuring but Takuya beats you to the punch. "Hey, Kouji! This is all your fault, this is what happens when you say stuff like that! Not to mention that battle..." Takuya angrily began.

Kouji glares at him once more. "What do you want to say?"

"You were too soft! Especially on Y/n, if we just stuck around and worked as a team we might have beaten him, hell if she joined the battle she might have even gotten her Beast Spirit and actually be useful in a fight for once." Takuya finishes, unable to see due to his frustration how much his words stung you.

I'm... not useful? You quietly repeat, hurt by the confirmation of something you had been thinking about during your recent fights.

Junpei frowns at your almost broken tone, surprised by how much Takuya's harshness affected you. "A-AH! Y/n-chan you're totally useful! You..." He pauses for a few seconds. "You can give people boosts! No one else can do that!"