Chapter 80

Eventually we're led by our rescuers to a room full of bunk beds. There are dressers with extra clothing along one wall, and Newt shoves me into the bathroom as the others start stripping. By the time I emerge in clean clothes, the box of matches still in my pocket, everyone else is changed as well.

Thomas catches sight of me as I'm climbing the ladder to a top bunk, and he gives me a surprised look.

"What?" I say, not sure what I've done to earn the expression.

"I'm surprised you're here. They took Teresa to a separate room."

I shrug and keep climbing. Newt follows me up the ladder, only pausing for a momentary remark to Thomas.

"Well, let's just be glad they didn't try to take Ash away. I don't think it would have ended well."

When he reaches the bunk I immediately cuddle against him.

Newt chuckles. "What are you being so clingy for?"

I take a deep breath, and then look him in the eyes. "I've decided."

He raises an eyebrow at my determined tone. "Decided what?"

"That... that I kind of like you," I say, looking away because I know I'm blushing.

Newt starts laughing, loud enough that I know the other boys can hear him. I shove him slightly, and he yelps with panic.

"Don't push me towards the edge," he whines, "you know I hate heights."

"It serves you right," I answer, sticking my tongue out at him.

He moves closer to me to get away from the edge, and gives me a genuine smile.

"I'm glad that the fearsome Ash has decided to fall for me. You see, I kind of like her, too."

I hide my face against his chest in embarrassment, and almost instantly feel sleep overtake me.