Chapter 44

I start the fire behind the cornfield, a safe distance away from the crops. Some of the more friendly Builders let me take scrap wood from their pile while they raid the kitchen for some food.

Hopefully they won't take too much, or Frypan will be furious tomorrow.

Soon Chuck had gathered about half the Gladers, and our bonfire is blazing and warm. It feels so good. I stare into the flames, knowing that I'm facing the inevitable end, whatever it brings, with courage and fire in my heart.

Everyone is talking and laughing around me, but I don't pay attention to them. I watch the fire twist its way up the boards, feel the heat blazing into my skin.

"What. The. Hell."

Everyone freezes, and I turn around to stare at Newt fiercely. We lock eyes, both of us stubborn. I know that I've broken rules, that I've crossed the lines he spent so long drawing in the Glade.

But tonight I don't care, and I need him to understand why.

"Newt... you know the girl is right. We're running out of time. What we're doing," I step forward and take his hand with a wave of confidence, staring into his green eyes that are reflecting the firelight, "is making it count."

He sighs, and drops his head in defeat.

"Ash whatever your last name is, I hope you know that you're a terrible, horrible influence on me."

Everyone whoops and continues laughing and eating and playing around.

"Thank you," I say as Newt joins me staring into the fire.

"Well, I wanted to join in on the fun."

"If only Minho could see you," I tease. "Newt, actually being fun for once."

"Hey," he says, pushing my shoulder gently. "I can be fun!"

"Oh yeah?"

He grabs my hand and drags me a few feet away from the fire. "Yeah. Come on, we're going to dance."

I snort at the unexpected comment. "Do you remember how to dance? Because I don't."

"No, but we'll figure it out."

"If you say so," I answer, looping my arms around his neck.

He sings as we try to invent dancing together, and I lose myself in the words and the atmosphere that are tumbling over me.

Watching through my fingers, watching through my fingers
Shut my eyes and count to ten
It goes in one ear out the other, one ear out the other
Burning bright right till the end
Now you'll be missing from the photographs, missing from the photographs

What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?
What's gonna be left of the world, oh

Every minute and every hour
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you more
Every stumble and each misfire
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you more

Watching through my fingers, watching through my fingers
Caught off guard by your favorite song
I'll be dancing at a funeral, dancing at a funeral
Sleeping in the clothes you love
It's such a shame we had to see them burn, shame we had to see them burn

What's gonna be left of the world-

"What is this?" Alby's voice instantly silences all of us. "Get everything put away. Go to bed!" He doesn't seem too angry, and we're all relieved as we put out the fire and clean up the leftover food.

"See you in the morning, Ash," Newt says, a bit shyly.

"See you," I say. Then I grab his chin and kiss him, just for a moment. He grins, but I leave before he can tease me.

My life is focused on escape, but I don't know where I would be without him. He's keeping me human, reminding me to feel instead of just think.

I'm glad he's there for me.

~~
A/N: This chapter uses the lyrics of "Good Grief," also one of my favorite Bastille songs.