Chapter 13

Despite the fact that I can technically see Ben, Newt makes sure Alby isn't in the Homestead before leading me upstairs. Unfortunately, he hadn't checked the room the girl was in, and the leader steps out as we reach the second floor.

"Hey Alby," Newt says, trying to keep his voice casual. "How is she?"

"Unconscious. Are you taking Ash to check up on her?"

Newt rolls with the story Alby gave him. "Yeah. Thought she might be helpful, being a girl and all."

Alby shrugs. "Alright. I'm going to go talk to Thomas. I'm not sure I trust him."

I follow Newt into the girl's room as Alby heads downstairs. She's lying on a hospital cot, a Med-jack organizing a medical kit on the other side of the room.

"Hey, Clint," Newt says. "This is Ash."

"Hi," Clint says, waving cheerfully at me. "From what I've heard, you could be a new competitor."

"Competitor for what?" I ask.

"The sarcasm wars," he answers. "Minho always wins, but it's my personal goal to steal his title someday."

"He's the self proclaimed sarcasm overlord," Newt adds.

"I can't see that at all," I say, and Clint chuckles.

"I thought you'd fit the wars quite well," he says.

"How's the girl?" Newt asks.

Clint shrugs. "Breathing. Mutters in her sleep sometimes. Alby told us to write down whatever she says. She's in a coma. At least, that's what we think." His voice grows thoughtful. "We wouldn't really know, no one here has medical training."

"Yes, Clint, we're aware." Newt sighs, and I laugh at his expression.

"Can we go see Ben now?" I ask. Clint doesn't seem like the type who would tell Alby what we're doing.

"Fine."

I'm burning with curiosity. What does the Changing do to someone?

Newt hesitates outside of Ben's room, looking to me for permission. I ignore him and open the door myself.

The room is similar to the one the girl is in, but the figure on the cot is very different. Ben doesn't look remotely relaxed, even though he is unconscious. His body is tense and covered in sweat. Green veins stand out on his shirtless chest, surrounding a gaping hole. It's almost like the edges of the wound began to rot before it could heal.

"We need to get it trimmed up again," Newt says. "Cutting away the dead flesh helps it heal, even though it isn't a pretty job. He's doing well, though. Stopped screaming, so he'll be up and about within a few more days."

I shiver a little. "That looks awful."

"It was a bit rough with Ben. He'd been stung for a while by the time he got the Serum, so the wound was worse."

"Where does the Serum come from?"

"They ship it up with supplies in the Box every week. It's rough, but without it... we had to kill a boy in the beginning because he got so violent after being stung. It still goes wrong, sometimes, if we don't watch them closely enough right after the Changing. It just... does things to them."

"This whole place doesn't make sense," I say, watching Ben twitch from some dream.

"No. It doesn't."

"It almost looks kinder to kill them." I was mostly talking to myself, but Newt's head whips up towards me. He takes a shaking breath, and exhales with forced calmness. I've not seen him like this, jaw clenched and forcing himself to stay calm.

"Don't ever say that, Ash. You don't understand. Don't- don't say that again."

Then he pushes past me and stomps downstairs.