Chapter 43

"I think we should trust her." Thomas is pacing back and forth, still furious that Alby decided Teresa would be staying in the Slammer overnight until the Keepers could hold a Gathering the next day.

I shrug a little. "Yeah, well, Alby doesn't trust her, and... I know he's different now, but he's still a friend of mine, and a friend of Newt's. I'm not going against him unless he's being really stupid. He has good reasons to not trust her, you know that, so we might as well let him lock her up and see what happens."

"What reasons?" Thomas snaps.

"Everything has been weird. I know that I'm the first girl, and that I'm unusual as well, but the girl-"

"Teresa."

"Teresa remembering things, and the coma she was in, and the fact that she went straight for you... it's enough reason to be suspicious, at least."

"But-" Thomas says, trying to convince me.

"Please just let it be for tonight?" I plead. "I really don't want to argue with you, Thomas, and I know you like her, but... we can't do anything right now, okay?"

"Fine."

Then he stalks off, leaving me alone.

I have no doubt in my mind that she's telling the truth. Everything the Gladers have built here is going to end. It makes me want to do something; want to give one last defiant action before it all crumbles around us.

"Hey, Chuck!" I call to the boy who is walking past. He jogs over to me cheerfully. "She said everything was ending. Wanna throw a party?"

He grins. "Wait, really? I know just who we can get involved. They won't tell Alby, and they'll be happy to join in."

"Perfect."