Chapter 78

"Clint?" I ask, and the Med-jack looks up at me.

"What's up, Ash?"

"You have scissors, right? Because... I want a haircut." It's time I learn to hope. I'm going to believe that we're free now. I can't forget the words in Newt's journal, how his long hair became proof that we were trapped.

I'm going to hope.

Clint gives an exaggerated sigh before winking. "Of course I can lend you scissors. Fry's the one who usually cuts our hair, though, so you could ask him to do it."

I brighten. "Thanks, Clint!"

He tosses me the scissors, and I go to find the cook.

"How much shorter do you want it?" Frypan asks, and I shrug as I sit on the seat next to him and turn my back towards him.

"I don't really care. Cut it short, I want it out of the way." I don't feel the need to share my deeper reasoning with him.

"Sounds good," he says, and starts clipping my hair. I pull my feet up on the seat of the bus and hug my knees.

Zart was one of the ones who died. Then there was Adam, and Chuck. But Alby... I think the leader's death bothers me the most of all. Chuck didn't deserve to die, but he deserved better than this life, if Alby's words are anything to go by.

I'll miss the grumpy old shank. He may have been irritable, but I understood him, and he was a good leader. They never would have survived as well without Alby, no matter who Nick was. Alby was a driving force of order, and I suspect that he always had been.

Who are we now? Just half the Glade, leaderless, broken.

And they want us to help them cross a desert to find a cure.

I want to tell them to go and boil all of their heads, but maybe we don't have a choice.

Maybe we're still hemmed in, just as trapped as we were twenty four hours ago.