one

well hello hello hello besties

i haven't seen y'all in a while lmao 😭

anyways! this was the most requested book and you know salem. i listen to the people and give them everything they want/didn't want☺️

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: minimal swearing, jealousy
word count: 3223

Aaron: "What you choose also chooses you." Kamand Kojouri.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Come in!"Emily stepped into Hotch's office. The woman handing him the three files in her hand. "I'm just waiting on the coroner's report to close up the Jessica Rivas case."

"Thanks," Aaron said and tossed the files on top of the stack in front of him.

"Hey, I was planning on getting something to eat from the Italian Kitchen. Did you want anything?" Emily asked and nervously played with her fingers. Hotch glanced down at his watch. It was closing in on ten o'clock, and he hadn't eaten.

"I thought you were going to take some time off? Isn't Andrew suppose to be moving next week?" Aaron asked and furrowed his eyebrows. Emily pursed her lips.

"Yes, he's moving, but he and I are kind of fighting right now. So I was planning on just doing some extra paperwork here for as long as my body can handle," Emily said and shrugged her shoulders. Hotch nodded his head.

"I'll buy," Aaron said and was about to stand up when the phone started to ring. He sighed as he looked up at Emily. The woman held back her laughter as the man was practically glued to his desk twenty-four seven.

"I'll order. Your usual?" Emily asked as Hotch grabbed his wallet. He handed Emily forty dollars in cash before answering the phone. The woman thanked him softly before walking out. The line went dead, but Aaron's mind was somewhere else. He watched Emily as she walked down the stairs.

Truth be told, he was interested in Emily the second she walked through that door. She was friendly, beautiful, and most importantly, she understood. Emily would be classified as Aaron's best friend now that the two of them had gotten to know each other. Only downfall: Emily was already seeing someone else. Andrew Mendoza, head of the DC field office. The two met on one of the first cases that Emily worked with on the team. Hotch sat back as they chatted during the case.

He was jealous, although he'd never want to admit that. But, he just smiled and nodded as Emily and Andrew announced to Emily's second family that they were dating. Now, almost one year later, he was still admiring Emily from a distance. The one that got away.

But that image was changing. Andrew was moving to Denver. His daughter was starting high school over there. Although Emily had yet to meet her, she urged Andrew to move to Denver to spend as much time as possible with her. And much to Andrew's disagreement, Emily dug her heels in and wanted to stay here in DC. She just got to the BAU. She wasn't going anywhere until she moved up in her ranking. That could take years, but it was the one thing Emily wanted. Career before family. That always was the way. And that's what the argument was about. Emily hated arguing more than anything.

If you can't beat them, avoid them until you can't anymore? That's all Emily knew.

Aaron set down the phone as he sighed. He watched as Emily chuckled over the phone. Her smile was beaming throughout the BAU. Hotch couldn't help but just sit back and watch as she talked on the phone.