Chapter 19- Ryker

I stopped talking to him as soon as Heaven was born. I could only imagine what Jade thought; the word 'parasite' was something I hadn't even whispered since that day in the hospital.
"Are you gonna tell  the story, or am I going to have to guess?"
"Sorry, Jade, you're probably really confused," I sat on the edge of her bed. Jade followed. "Two years ago, Max and I were really close. Well, we went clubbing together, and some other things, but one night I slept with a chick that Max had told me not to even look at. She was bad news, she was only a couple years older than us, but she had a pretty bad rep. Her name was Britt. She got pregnant that night." Heaven stirred in my arms, slinging her arm around my neck. Jade sat quietly, taking in the information. She nodded for me to continue.
"When she told me, I freaked. I screamed at her to get an abortion, I told her I didn't want anything to do with her or 'it'. Fortunately, my mom over heard the conversation and took Britt in. She lived with us her whole pregnancy, up until she went to the hospital. She had to have an emergency C-Section, and as soon as they wrapped Heaven in the blanket, they handed her to me and I fell in love with her. She was released to me a day later, Britt had complications, but she refused to sign the birth certificate when she came to, and after she was released, we never heard from her again." I look at Jade. "After I found out she was pregnant, I went out partying with Max every chance I got. I got black out drunk almost every time; I'd rant about the whole thing and how it was going to ruin my life. I'd even call Heaven..... I'd call her a parasite." I stare down at Heaven, still sound asleep.
"I... I don't really know how I thought it happened, but I guess it makes sense. But what happened tonight? What was with the fight?"
"He was mad. When Heaven was born I cut all ties with my past, including Max. We'd been friends since middle school, but I didn't want Heaven around any of it. And I'm glad I did, too. Heaven's the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I want her to have the best life possible." Heaven sighed in her sleep. Jade nodded and laid back on the bed. "So, my best friend was my friend to get close to you? That's kind of the recurring theme here..." She had her eyes closed. I could only imagine how she felt, both the red and Max both were hanging out with her to get to me.
"I'm sorry, Jade. I never realized what people would do to get to me. I just wanted to protect my daughter."
"It's not your fault. Honestly, I want to protect Heaven, too, even if I haven't known her very long." She sat up. "You know, Ryker, if you ever need anything, like help with Heaven, or something, you can always come ask me," Jade put one of her hands over mine. "You're a lot stronger than I could have ever thought you were. But, you're also a lot less scary than I thought you were..." She laughed a little and I smiled. "Thanks, Jade," I stand up and make my way to the door. "Good night, and thanks for looking out for us."