Chapter 21 - Ryker

It wasn't the worlds best prank, but it was enough to show Jade I wanted to give our friendship a chance. At least, that's what I hoped it would do. Jade's confusion quickly turned to surprise, and then a grin was plastered on her face.
"Oh, I'm gonna get you back, Kaldens, just you wait!"
45 minutes later I was pulling into the school parking lot, Jade following close behind me in her car. I don't think we know eachother well enough for me to offer her a ride, so I just didn't. My mom had glared at me when she realized I wasn't going to offer, but I think it would just be 10 minutes of awkward silence and weak attempts at conversation.
"Hey, Ryker?" I hear Jade say while I was getting my bag out of the car. I turn to look at her. "I know this morning probably was nothing, but I just wanted you to know that I want to give being friends a chance." she looked away and quickly added, "I mean, if you want." I smirk.
"See you later, Friend." I say as I walk away to my first class.
"-And they don't even have great food! I can literally not think of a single good thing to say about it!" My buddy, Mason, ranted to our table. He continued on about the new restaurant he'd went to over the weekend, but I couldn't be bothered to listen in; I was busy looking for Jade. I new my friends would question if I invited her over here, so I was just going to go sit with her. Because that's what friends do, they sit together at lunch. However, I hadn't spotted her, yet. I saw the redhead she'd brought over once sitting at a table across the cafeteria and I glanced at all the faces at the table to see if Jade was there as well. She wasn't, although, part of me knew she wouldn't be, considering how they hadn't spoken since that day. I kept scanning the tables to see if I could spot where she was sitting, but still no luck. "Hey, Ryker, can you come with me to go make a copy of the calculus worksheet?" Another of my friends, Kynslee, asked me. I nodded. She's been my friend since grade school, and one of the few other people at school who knew about Heaven. I grabbed my bag and we walked out of the cafeteria.
"So, how's Heaven?" She asked once we got to the empty library. "She's good. Grumpy, but good. Mom's been saying she's starting the terrible two's early," I chuckled as she started messing with the copy machine. "I think the terrible two's are a myth. They start when the kid starts walking and- Dammit work, you piece of shi-" "Miss Garrick, watch your language!" The librarian shouted at her. I laughed and Kynslee mumbled, "I wouldn't be cussing if your shit worked." I hear a snicker from around the shelves and I sneak around to see who it was. There, on the floor, sat the girl I'd been searching for since lunch started. "Why are you spending lunch in the library, Jade?"