Chapter 18- Jade

"-I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! YOU LI-" I hit Max's stomach and he doubles over. "I know, but I have to show you something..." I trail off and peak around the corner to the kitchen. Our eyes widen as we hear sniffles. We both peak around the corner and stare into the doorway. "I love you so much, Baby Girl, I was so stupid back then..." Ryker gently kisses Heaven's head as she puts cheerios into her mouth. Max grabbed my hand and shoved me forward into the hallway. "Take me to your room," his voice was hostile and curious. I guided him to my room and closed the door. "That's what I wanted to tell you; Ryker has a daughter named Heaven. She about one and I don't know much else." Max's jaw drops. "I have to talk to him..." he trailed off. "I never told anyone this but him and I used to be good friends; we ran in the same circles on the streets." It made sense, Max went clubbing a lot, but I thought I had heard all of the stories.
"Jade, open up," Ryker's fist hit the door just loud enough for us to hear. I open the door and see him holding Heaven, who is sound asleep, in one arm, and a bottle in the other. "I need you to- Max?" Confusion and regret flooded his eyes. "Ryker, how've you been?" Max's voice was no longer cheery and bubbly. Ryker's eyes found interest in the floor as Max continued. "This must be the little, what was the word you used- parasite?" "Jade, can you watch Heaven for a second?" I held out my arms for the toddler. Both men left the room quietly. Parasite? Out of all the words in the world, parasite is not a word I'd expect Ryker to use while describing his daughter. I'm still confused on how Max and Ryker knew each other, and how Max kept Heaven a secret. "Bubabababa," Heaven's tiny fists pulled on a few strands of my hair. "Shhh," I detangle my hair from her fist and move to my bed and set her on it gently. She stands up and I hold her steady so she doesn't fall. I climb onto my bed and pull her on to my lap while she becomes interested in my charm bracelet. "Brummmmm, brummmm," her fingers hold the car charm tightly. "Good job, Heaven. That is a car," I tickle her feet and she giggles loudly. A loud crash echoes through the house. I grab Heaven and run to the closet. She whimpers and clutches my shirt, "Dada! Dada!" She starts sobbing. "Shh, Honey, Daddy's gonna be okay. Aunty Jade has you..." I rub her back as we sit silently in the back of my closet, Heaven still sniffling.
"Jade! Where's Heaven?" Ryker bursts into my room and looks around. "We're in here," I walk out of the closet to see Ryker, bloodied and bruised. I gasped. "Ryker. What happened? Where's M-" "Do not bring him here again!" Heaven snored gently on my chest. "Did he do this to you?" My eyes watered. Max could never hurt anyone... Ryker motioned for me to give him Heaven, so I gently hand her to her father.
"Jade, I need to tell you a story."