Chapter 17- Ryker

"Britt, you gotta get rid of it! I don't want a stupid kid!" I crumpled the black and white ultrasound picture and threw it on the floor. "Ryker, this is your responsibility! You wanna act like a grown up and have one night stands, you have to take responsibility for the consequences!"  Her eyes glared into mine. "Get. Rid. Of. It." I say each word with more venom than the last. "Ryker Alexander Kaldens!"  My mother grabbed me by the ear. "You want to disobey the rules, you'll take responsibility," she turned to Britt. "Brittany, Sweetheart, he is going to take full responsibility for this baby." Mom's hand rested on Britt's stomach. I stared at them both as they began talking about the thing growing inside of the pretty girl that I met at the bar.

A tear slides down my face as I stare at the crumpled ultrasound picture in my hand. About a year and a half ago, Britt had handed me this picture and told me that I was going to be a father. I glance at my beautiful Heaven, her hand clutching the ear of her favorite bunny toy. I stare back down at the ultrasound. My mind went to the day my angel was born, the day that I devoted my life to giving her everything.

The doctors crowded around Britt's bed as they began cutting her open. Her eyes held fear, and she motioned for me to take her hand. I sighed. I can't believe mom is making me keep the thing, I don't want it! I don't want to have anything holding me back, and this thing will. I step closer to Britt, but I don't take her hand. The doctors reach into Britt's bulging belly and I look down at Britt. How is she not feeling any of this? Half of her organs are on the table next to her! "...Baby Girl Kaldens, born at 3:16 p.m.!" My head snaps up. I stare as the tiny baby was passed around to a couple of nurses and bathed. I look back at Britt, her hair was matted to her forehead and her eyes were barely open. "Don't leave her, Ryker." Her eyes closed and she was taken to a different room. "Dad, do you want to meet your daughter?" The nurse that had bathed the baby now held a fluffy blanket, the one that Britt and my mom picked out at the mall a couple of weeks ago. I nod my head slightly. She placed the blanket in my arms and I looked down and saw the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. She had a little bit of dark brown hair on her head and her eyes were the most stunning shade of green. The little girl had a small frown on her face and seemed like she was about to cry. I shifted her all the way to my left arm and stroked her face with my other hand. She wrapped her tiny fist around my pinky. My breath hitched. "Looks like she's a daddy's girl," the nurse smiled and led me to the nursery. I stare down at the little girl in my arms, she was sound asleep. "This is her bed, when you want to put her down just lay her on her back in here," she pointed to the plastic bassinet that read 'Kaldens' on the front. I sit down in one of the chairs and study the angel in my arms. She shifted a bit and started crying. "Shhh, Daddy's here," I rub one of her tiny feet. "I'll always be here," I hold her closer to me and kiss her head. "I knew you'd come around." My mom walked in and pulled a chair up next to me. My eyes never left my little girl. "I'm going to wait outside. The doctors say we can leave as soon as you fill out her birth certificate." I nod and wait for her to leave. I study her features and think about what I should name her.

The day we brought her home was he last day I saw Britt, and I'm happy about that. I cried for days when i brought her home. I hated myself for ever thinking that I didn't want her, and for asking Britt to get an abortion. I gently place the picture back in the photo album and leave it on my desk. "Dadadadadadadada," Heaven's babbles snap me out of my trance. "Hey, Sweet Girl," I pick her up and swing her around. I grab the photo album and find a picture of Britt. She reminds me of Jade, only Jade seems like a decent person, not a person who'd leave a 16 year old boy with a new born baby. I kiss Heaven's head and toss the album back to my desk. Heaven plays with my hair and babbles away while I bring her down to the kitchen to feed her, my sweet, perfect, little Heaven.