Chapter 16: Jade

He. Said. Thank you. Ryker Kaldens just said thank you, to me. I seriously need to tell someone, but my best friend is a psychopath. But... "Max," I whisper as I pull out my phone to call him. Max is a kid I've known since I was in diapers, he's always been my number one, even if Cara tried to come between us. Max won't tell anyone about Heaven, mostly because he's homeschooled. He started homeschooling a couple years ago because he was being bullied. He's still one of my best friends and I haven't told him about moving or anything. I quickly called him and he picked up on the first ring. "You better have one hell of a reason for not talking to me for like a week," he answered. I laughed. "Oh, I've got plenty. So you remember Ryker?" "Of course I remember Ryker, I don't have memory loss," he replied sarcastically. He suddenly gasped. "You didn't..." he trailed off. "NO NO NO, NOTHING LIKE THAT!" I yelled into my phone. "Oh, thank goodness!" He chuckled. But seriously, I'm not blind, I know what he looks like and now you're calling me. What's up?" I took a breath and started to spill. "So, apparently, my dad works with Ryker's dad and it's easier for them to work together when they are closer... which means, right down the hall way..." I trailed off hoping he would connect the dots. Then the line went dead. I pulled my phone back and looked at it. I shook my head and laid down and slowly drifted off to sleep.