Chapter 07 || Night Drive

⚜⚜⚜

⚜⚜⚜

Sin City's cold and empty 

No one's around to judge me 

I can't see clearly when you're gone

~Blinding Lights

⚜⚜⚜

Rose was woken up by her phone ringing near her pillow. She woke up frantically, her heart beating fast. Her head conjuring up dreadful scenarios, she quickly answered the phone and she relaxed on hearing Ian's safe voice. 

She had been waken up by unstopping vibrations. She reached out to snooze the alarm only to realize it wasn't the alarm, her phone was vibrating.

Confused about why anyone would call her at 2 at night, she picked up the phone to hear crying from the other side...

She had never kept her phone on vibrate again.

"- come down" came Ian's voice through.

No. Ian is safe.

She replied 'in a minute' and quickly put a jacket on, thinking why the hell would he wake her up at 1 am.

Her question was answered when she found him sitting in his car. Late night drives were their thing. Last year, he often took her out on late night drives around the town after a heavy day. They wouldn't talk, just roll down the windows and play soft music on the radio. 

"Thought you needed a break" Ian said to her with a smile.

"I did." She said and quickly climbed in.

He started driving through the mountains, the forests dark black around them. It was totally silent except for their radio. Others may find forests scary at night but Rose found them peaceful. She liked feeling nobody watching her, she could finally let her guard down in front of them. With them, the forests and Ian, she could be the broken girl in night.

She remembered being scared of them on her first night here, she remembered daring Layla to go inside for the first time and she remembered exploring them with Adonis during the day.

She liked the dark enveloping them, it somehow felt like a warm cozy blanket. There wasn't much wind, just a calm drive, them being the only one driving at such an ungodly hour. She looked up to the sky, but the thick forest canopy allowed only some stars to be seen. 

Soon they came to the windward side of the mountains. Now, strong winds messed through their hair and she stuck her head out allowing a smile to light up her face.

They both let themselves forget all the grief and be happy for a moment.

The wind was strong against her face, chilling her but in a good way. She could see the moon and stars shining down on them, and she could see the rocky bottom of cliff as well. She pushed her upper body out of the wind and let out a wo-hoo with a loud laugh.