Chapter 28

Zoey's POV-

I stared after my father in law for a few minutes. As much as I didn't want to admit it; he was right. I don't need to be fooling around with different thots when I traveled; I have a wife at home and two kids that love and adore me. As I stood up to go inside, the front door opened once again and my heart rate picked up. It was Nique. She stared down at me; her eyes filled with pain and sadness.

"My dad said you wanted to talk. I figured it'd be better if we did it out here rather than inside and cause a scene in front of everyone," she said softly. I nodded and took a seat on the top step before motioning for her to join me. Nique hesitated for a second but came over and sat down reluctantly.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked lamely. It was a dumb question and I already knew the answer to it. But it was the only thing I could make come out of my mouth right now.

She rolled her eyes. "What do you think? You left me and your family here alone on Brielle's birthday to leave with that home-wrecking bitch. How do you think that makes me feel, Zoey? I felt like a complete idiot in there trying to explain everything that happened between us to my mom and dad."

"I'm sorry, Zonnique. I didn't mean to ruin Bri's party and did I want to make you upset. I left with Bahja so I could end things with her. I'm in love with you. I only want you." Nique refused to look at me. She kept her eyes on her lap.

"You have told me that before and look where that's gotten us-the same place where we started, Zoey. I'm so sick and tired of you lying to me. It's not just affecting me and you. If you didn't notice, there are two kids in there who love you more than anything in this world and all they want is for things to be all right with their mom and dad," Nique replied. Her voice broke at the end and tears streamed down her face. I reached down and wiped them away with my thumb.

"I'll never hurt you or the kids again. I fucked up and I admit that. But I don't want to lose my family. Let's make this work, babe." I never begged but this was crucial. I couldn't let the three people who I cared for so much get away from me. Nique tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear and looked up at me.

"How can I believe you, Zoey?"

"You have to trust me. I know it's a lot to ask after all of this but it's the only way that we can work. So tell me. Do you trust me, Nique?" She was silent for a few moments; not making a sound. She stared at me. More tears fell from her eyes.

"I trust you," Nique finally whispered. A small smile spread across my face and I brought her close to me.

"You won't regret this. I promise you." I leaned down and kissed her on the mouth. It wasn't forcefully nor was it hard. It was soft and passionate to let her know that she is the only one for me.

. . .

-Bahja's POV-

I walked casually down the street of Atlanta Georgia. Dakoya and I were currently traveling with her father. After four months of trying to get in touch with Zoey again, I soon realized it wasn't worth it anymore-he wouldn't return my calls or texts. We were done and he was focused on living his life with Zonnique and their children. The week after Zoey broke up with me for good I called Prodigy and told him the truth.

He immediately thought I was in the same town as him and wanted to just hook up and pick up where we left off last time, but that wasn't the case this time. Once I broke the news to him about who Dakoya real father was, I could tell he was shocked but upset. Upset that I had lied to him this entire time. I was upset too, though. I was angry because I had wasted so much time being with someone who had nothing but bad intentions. The next day Prodigy flew down to Georgia to see his daughter. Once he laid eyes on her, he fell in love. Now, we're one small family. Of course I did the right thing and took both of them to the clinic to get DNA tested-they're a perfect match.

I turned the corner and switched Myia to my other hip. I wasn't watching where I was going because she was currently talking me to death in her baby gibberish. I was nodding at her and about to respond to her baby talk when I collided with another person. I stumbled back a few steps and looked up at the person in front of me. At first, I thought I was staring into a mirror. Then I realized who it was: Zonnique. Zoey's wife and the same woman I had fought against to get him. My gaze followed down to her swollen belly-she was pregnant?

"Sorry. I wasn't paying attention," I mumbled before brushing past her and continuing my stride down the hall.

"Bahja, wait," Nique called out. I stopped in my tracks and turned on my heel.

"Yeah?" I questioned nervously. It wasn't exactly easy to talk to the girl my ex-boyfriend was and is in love with.

"This is really awkward, I know. I just wanted to say thank youfor finally letting Zoey go. It's good that you've moved on."

"I didn't let him go. He let me go and I had no choice but to move on. You can't exactly be with someone if they don't feel the same way about you."

Zonnique nodded. "Well, I'm just happy that you left my husband alone and that we were able to go through this without ripping each other's heads off. I hope you learned your lesson about chasing after married men."

"I agree. I honestly was just blinded by love, or well what I thought was love, I guess. I didn't mean to try and ruin your relationship with Zoey. I thought he really loved me. I believed everything he had whispered in my ear. Hopefully one day you can forgive me."

"And I wish I could free you, from the hurt and the pain."

"I know it shouldn't say that it's fine, but things actually turned out for us. This little set back made us stronger as a couple and I think it really made Zoey look at what was important to him. Things have settled down for us," she smiled slightly as she ran her hands over her swollen abdomen, "he's back to being the great father and husband that I know he can be."

I shook my head, "He was great to me. Too great, actually. Now that I look back on it, I see how truly foolish I was. Zoey was nothing but a beautiful liar." I turned my back to her and walked down the hall. I wasted my time with him. He lied to me, he hurt me and he broke my heart. But with me being around his job with Prodigy, there's nothing stopping me from getting the revenge I want. Someday, he will pay.

"The answer is simple. He's the one to blame."