Knowing the truth

The question was left hanging heavily in the air. Why wasn't he answering, why did my heart pound out of sync and my palms sweated against my jeans.

He stood staring at me awhile before cracking a smile, I nearly fell over from surprise.

"wow, uh, abrupt question you got there", he let out a nervous chuckle and rubbed his neck sheepishly. "I uh, .."he stammered, running a hand through his hair. I didn't understand his discomfort but rather wondered why on earth he was not feeling MY own discomfort in this situation.

"well... Are you a part of the moon clan pack", I asked calmly. He shifted on his feet and nodded, looking almost guilty.

"ah so you know who I am," I whispered. Something inside me, the sliver of hope, wished he wasn't part of the pack and wasn't aware of who I was. But as he nodded his head slowly the small hope withered away to nothing.

I clenched and released my hands repeatedly as we stood in an awkward silence.

"listen, I-I didn't have any control over it, when they called you a.. murderer. Id totally help
find out who did it, if I had any real authority, but I don't , being beta is nothing to my father, you know him..." he stuttered, throwing out flustered sentences. I rubbed my arm and dug the toe of my shoe into the floor.

I couldn't handle the thought of his father being the one who did this to me. The man with the piercing golden eyes. My cheeks flamed in embarrassment, Samuel had been so kind. And he knows who I am, well who people think I am. Who his own clan decided I was.

"it's okay... I understand", I whispered. Something inside me broke, yet I managed to keep the tears in. My breathing staggered as I was pulled into a hard chest. I gasped quietly and stood stiff in Samuels arms as he held me tightly.

"it isn't your fault, no one has a right to blame you, it's not your fault", he cried into my hair and my heart ached for him. A sad aura hung in the air and choked me like a rope. Soon I felt myself relax in his comforting embrace as we stood there for a good amount of time.

A single tear dropped down my cheek, splashing onto his shirt. He smelled of Fresh air and pines. It made me want to run, be free, rid my mind of all the guilt that consumed me over the years.

Even though he thought I was innocent, no one else did. Plus, I had to live with the fact that I opened that window. I have to remember that man, from my nightmares. With the blood red eyes.

"You are so strong", he murmured into my ear in a heartbreaking voice. I was enjoying his comfort. For once I relished in a persons warmth, someone showed me care and my heart soaked in every last inch of it. I pulled back and stared at him for a long while until he returned my gaze.

His eyes were glazed over with unshed tears and soon I found my own eyes burning. We were surrounded in each others embrace. And for once, I felt like someone understood me.

Slowly his hand cupped my cheek, and without having to think i felt his soft lips on mine. A feeling I haven't felt in a long time , filled me. It was a simple, long, yet meaningful kiss. In it we shared emotion that no other could get, let alone understand.

When we broke apart, for once, in what seemed like forever , I gave a genuine smile. But to him, it looked like it meant the world.
That day my heart  betrayed me, it broke down the walls that I built up over the years, and for once... Let a little bit of light shine through, into the darkness.