Chapter 18: Soona Mann Ka Aangan

"Aaru Di, I'll be able to play my music again, na?"

"Di, What if the surgery is not successful?"

Neil's words seemed to run on repeat in her head while she scrubbed her arms for the third time. She looked at her hands as if in prayer that they do good work today and save Neil. She frowned as they trembled in nervousness. Her palms grew moist as she clutched them into fists to stop the shivers.

Stop it, Aaradhya! You are strong, and you will do this for Neil!

Aaru, this is not the time to be emotional.

"Aaradhya, Are you sure you'll be able to do this surgery? I think you should sit it out," Dr Suman suggested, "Don't worry, this won't be taken against you in any way."

"Ma'am, please give me the opportunity to be here," She spoke with firmness though her heart seemed otherwise.

Beeps and clicks reverberated through the room, ringing through her ears. Her breath became shallow as she tried to steady herself and bring about composure in herself.

"Aaradhya, please sterilise the area of surgery," Dr Shrikant, a senior cardiologist, instructed, and she immediately got to task, pushing away the nerves that had been eating her away.

Soon the room became slightly dark as the surgical lights shone brightly at the area of incision.

"Nurse, are the valves for transplant ready?" Dr Shrikant asked.

"Yes, doctor," She handed Aaradhya the scalpel as the other doctors got ready with the diathermy (a surgical tool that produces heat to stimulate the circulation, relieve pain, destroy unhealthy tissue, or cause bleeding vessels to clot) and the suction tube (to remove obstructions).

It's now or never, Aaradhya! You need to do this for Neil and his family. You owe this to them.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Two hours went by before Aaradhya even realised. However, unlike the beginning of the surgery, Hope seemed to glimmer in her eyes. Just like bubbles rising to the surface in an ocean.

All that was left to do was insert the new valve to complete the surgery. Aaradhya began the process with the guidance of Dr Shrikant. Sweat droplets formed on her forehead, as every second was valuable and could not be wasted. Her eyes focused on every suture and diathermy, ensuring nothing was to be missed.

This was not just any surgery; It was for Neil. . .