Chapter 17: When You Are Alone

As Aaradhya walked down the hallways to her cabin, she simply couldn't get her mind off the Lohri gathering

As Aaradhya walked down the hallways to her cabin, she simply couldn't get her mind off the Lohri gathering. . .well to be specific, Armaan Malhotra.

From his mysterious demeanour and rudeness to this foreign civility that he began to raise with the allergy mishap and now the glass of water.

She had gotten used to this mystery-the glowering dark eyes that peered through her with this unknown rage-but the sudden niceties, the openness; she wasn't used to that. . .but then again, she didn't even know him very well, for that matter.

Let's see. . .

He's Armaan Malhotra.

Co-Founder of the Malhotra and Goenka Industries.

Owner of the hospital she's completing her residency in.

Best friend of Shaurya Goenka, her . . . Let's leave that for now.

Childhood friend of Nidhi Roy, her bestie.

That's it.

Hmm, now you must be wondering, why is Aaru thinking so much over just a glass of water. 

Well, it's not just about a glass of water, her mind rationalised. It's about the fact that the man who refused to even speak to her last month had suddenly become so courteous.

Aaru, why are you thinking about him so much? She reprimanded herself and began searching for something else to shift her focus on until she heard a series of loud coughs.

There, sitting right in front of her cabin, was Neil. He seemed rather paler than she had first seen him, his skin almost porcelain as it hollowed into his cheeks, dark circles coating under his eyes. His eyes had now grown dull, losing the fresh sparkle they once encased as he became this fragile sheath of glass that could shatter any time. His coughs grew louder with greater force increasingly as Aaradhya rushed to his side.

"Neil, What happened to you suddenly?" She tugged on his arm, placing it around her shoulder, as she supported him into her cabin. Mrs D'Souza rushed in frantically, passing her son a bottle of water to suppress his wheezing and coughs.

After a few minutes of painful silence, the thick layer of tension that had begun to build faded away as Neil seemed to grasp control of himself.

"I'm fine, Aaru Di. I really am. The medications are working just fine, so can I leave?"

He got up from his seat in a hurry, only to be stopped by his mother.

"Sit down quietly, Neil Anthony D'Souza, and stop lying to your doctor!" Her stern tone pushed him to his seat in hesitant silence, "Dr Dixit, two days after the trip, his wheezing began with frequent coughs and episodes of breathlessness. We continued the medication as per the plan, but it just aggravated the symptoms. . .Please do something. He'll be fine, right?" A frown made its way on her face as a crystalline sheath formed against her eyes, threatening to break into fearful sobs.