Chapter 12: Riha

"Nidhu, please talk to me?"

Aaradhya shivered in the chilly breeze as her voice trembled and tears threatened to fall.

Her knees gave away, and before she could fall to her knees, Shaurya and Nidhi rushed to cradle and support her as her hands held her face in despair.

"Shaurya, I think you should go. . .this is between Aaru and me," Nidhi assured him all will be fine, and as he zoomed off in his car, she hugged Aaru tightly, who was still very much in tears.

As they sat down in the courtyard, Nidhi handed her a glass of water to drink, rubbing her back up and down in solace as her heart broke to see her friend in this state. Regardless of all misunderstandings, dil hi toh hai and when our loved ones are hurt, no matter the anger, we still worry.

(It's the heart)

After a while, once Aaradhya calmed her trembling voice, she asked, "Nidhu, Why are you angry? What did I do? Everyone is saying I must have done something. . ." Her voice faltered and tears threatened to fall.

"Nidhi, please bata. I'm tired of listening that this is my fault. . .especially when I don't even know what I've done. . ."

Upon hearing these words, Nidhi's composure shook and shattered like glass into millions of pieces, as tears trickled down her cheeks, "A-Aaru, Y-you've toh always been so perfect, Perfect life, perfect parents, perfect job. . .H-how can y-you cry? Everyone toh loves you!"

Completely shocked at this outburst, Aaradhya sniffled, twisting her frame to face Nidhi as she held onto her hands, "Nidhi, Kya hua? You know my life is far from perfect. . ."

(What happened?)

Nidhi scoffed and removed her hands from Aaradhya's hold.

"Aaru, remember when we first brought Sammy home?"

"Maa, hum ghar aa gaye!" Nidhi and Aaradhya bustled into the home, in their simple kurti and jeans with the iconic AIIMS badges hanging down their necks.

(Maa, We've come home!)

Wails shattered the joy on the girls' faces as horror struck them and they rushed to the source. Anupama aunty was holding the howling baby, rocking her gently, praying she'd stop.

"Shona please. . .stop crying shona, kya hua aapko? Bhook lagi?" She whispered softly, sweat droplets forming on her forehead in worry. Dark circles caved under her eyes as her eyes drooped ever so slightly. It was so clear that aunty had become exhausted both mentally and physically from the paperwork at the centre and now the baby's piercing cries. Aur maa ka dil bhi maanta nahi hai na? How can she leave her to cry?

(What happened to you? Are you hungry?) (And a mother's heart can't rest, na?)

"Maa, I think she's hungry. I'll hold her; till then, you can prepare her food, hmm?" Nidhi carefully took the baby girl into the warmth of her arms, bouncing on the balls of her feet, to rock her and lull her.