Chapter 9: Saawali Si Raat

Racing against the ticking clock, they finally made it home, weaving through every nook and crook of the traffic

Racing against the ticking clock, they finally made it home, weaving through every nook and crook of the traffic. As they entered the home, they met a wave of gloom and concern, with Armaan, Shaurya and Anupama aunty pacing around.

"Aaradhya, Nidhi, finally, you guys are here! Sammy, she's been crying for hours now, she's just in her room and not talking to anyone," Shaurya blurted the moment he saw the girls.

"But what happened?" Nidhi asked, trying to stay calm amidst the unsettling atmosphere.

"As soon as I reached the school grounds, I saw her sitting by the park crying. No one was around her, so I assumed that I came late, which was weird because I reached there, dot at the time Armaan had told me. I asked her what happened, but she just cried even more. She's been crying the entire way home regardless of me cracking jokes and playing music to cheer her up."

Nidhi patiently entered the room, signalling the others to wait outside. A few minutes passed in pregnant silence after which Nidhi stepped out. All eyes turned to her as a small bubble of hope rose.

Nidhi slowly shook her head with rejected eyes that were downcast, and even the tiniest of hope that had just begun to grow had now completely disintegrated as sobriety and gloom embarked in the hallway. Anupama shook her head softly and stepped into the room to calm her daughter and unable to stop herself, Aaradhya followed suit only to have her heart broken at the sight in front of her.

Everything seemed to say still in utter melancholy, and Samaira sat on the corner of the bed, curled up into a small tight ball, as sobs reverberated through the room.

Anupama aunty rushed to her and held her tight as she continued to weep, her small arms clutching her mother.

"Maira bache, what happened? Why are you crying? Someone said something?" She asked gently.

Samaira shook her head in a no but said nothing.

"Acha my bacha won't talk to her Mumma...Aaru, I think Ronnie must have done something," She smiled softly at Aaradhya who continued with the ruse.

"Ronnie? That very very very bad boy in our Sammy's class? The one who took away her chocolate?" Aaru frowned mischievously, sitting down next to Samaira.

"Han han, that bad boy, na princess? What did that badmaash do today? He pulled your hair?" Anupama aunty tapped her shoulder softly.

All of a sudden, Samaira burst out in a whine,

"No, No, No! Ronnie didn't do anything! I don't want to talk to anyone!" She hid her head behind her arms.