Chapter 10: Rabba Main Toh Mar Gaya Oye

Confused

Confused.

Upset.

Those would be the appropriate words to honestly describe how Aaradhya felt as she entered her cabin for lunch. And how could she not? You'd feel the same if your best friend did this. . .

"Um Aaru, Listen, I can't come with you today. Oh, and I'm busy during lunch as well, so please don't wait for me. Okay, I'm going to go. Bye." Before Aaradhya could even say anything, Nidhi ended the call with apathy.

Aaradhya had stood in the crevices of her bedroom in puzzlement.

What happened to Nidhi suddenly? Did I do something wrong? Her heart sensed something was wrong.

But her mind argued, You look too much into the details. Maybe she got up on the wrong side of the bed, or she's genuinely busy today.

A crisp knock on the door pulled her out of her thoughts as Neil popped his head in with a smile.

"Morning, Dr Dixit," He smiled amiably as Aaradhya ushered him and his mother in to have a seat.

"Aah, Morning! How are you? Medications going on well?" Aaradhya sat in front of them, looking at the teenager earnestly.

"Yep, they're going. . .well," He was slightly hesitant. As Aaradhya paused for a little longer, he took it as an opportunity to continue, "Well, they are taking a little longer than expected?" He shrugged and pursed his lips.

"Yeah, they do take some time, plus you did just start the course; let's wait for a bit more?"

He nodded in understanding, and Aaradhya smiled.

"Um, Mrs D'Souza, I wanted to ask something with your permission, of course! Aarogya Care will be hosting a Christmas Eve party in the amphitheatre, and we would love it if you and your family could join us for this celebration. Also, if it isn't a burden. . .Neil, I'm aware you might be having your winter vacation right now. . . so if you don't have many plans, would you like to help in prepping for Aarogya Care's Christmas party?" Aaradhya gazed at them with her hopeful doe eyes, which shifted to ones of glee as Mrs D'Souza nodded in approval.

"Neil, what say? It'll be fun, plus cookies are guaranteed for hard-working elves!" She shrugged with a smug smile and almost let out a squeal when he said yes.

"Great! We have so much to do so, chop-chop! Now Neil, Could you run down to the nurse's ward a few rooms away and let them know you'll be working with us? They'll give you a plan."

As Neil stepped out of the room, Aaradhya turned her focus on Mrs D'Souza and held her hand in warmth, "Mrs D'Souza, I might be crossing my boundaries here, and I'm sorry if I do so, but I understand things are tough at the moment for your family, and so please don't worry, Neil will be in safe hands and in this hospital, he'll be my responsibility."