Returned

You arrive at the village about twenty minutes later with four more babies. You hold a boy as The Doctor sits one of each on her hips, Yaz and Ryan taking it in turns to hold the seventh along with one each.

The Doctor knocks boldly at a door and it opens immediately. You are deafened by a loud cry, and several more as men and women come from their houses, crying and celebrating. The Doctor helps return the babies to the parents, all of them sobbing jovially. By the time they have settled down the light has faded, and The Doctor starts with the questions.

"We found them in the forest where my ship landed, what happened?"

One woman speaks on behalf of the others, looking overwhelmed to see her daughter again.

"They were taken in the night by one of our own. He was interrogated but he never said where he hid them. Thank you, thank you so much for their safe return"

"Well I'm glad we could help. We must leave now before night falls properly. We wish you happy lives" The Doctor says graciously as you rise to leave.

"We have nothing to give you" one of the women says sadly.

"Getting them home safely was reward enough"

One woman, whom you returned the baby you carried to, approaches you and you freeze.

"A token of my thanks" she says, pressing a wooded beaded bracelet in your hand. You make a serious effort not to back away.

"Thank you" you say and she bows before leaving. You open your palm and admire the bracelet. It was so beautiful.

"No, thank you" you mutter into the darkness as you all turn back to The Tardis.

"Hold on (Y/n)" calls The Doctor as you walk quietly though the forest some time later. She waves the others ahead and waits for you to catch up.

"What did she give you?"

You hold up the bracelet and she smiles.

"Would you like me to put it on you?"

"Yes please" you say and she takes it, her warm fingers tying it around your left wrist before she steps back.

"You touched the babies"

"Yes"

"You didn't have to"

"Not everything is about me, they needed help"

She eyes you speculatively and she nods.

"Well they were grateful for your help"

"I see" you say, holding up your wrist and admiring the bracelet. You feel a bit funny.

"(Y/n)?" Says The Doctor as the world tips a little. You blink and shake your head, feeling you knees give out as you fall to the floor.

"(Y/n) what's wrong? Are you hurt?" She says anxiously as you fight the rolls of nausea in the pit of your stomach.

"Rosemary" you whisper and she looks extremely confused. You collapse sideways until you are lying on your back, eyes threatening to close.

"Don't you close those eyes! It's ok, it's all going to be ok, you're fine" she says, feeling for a pulse on your neck. You don't have the strength to even try to fight her off.

Her words blur into background noise as you feel a soft wind across your face. Your eyes close and you feel your breathing slow. More alarming however is your constricted throat, which your hands go to rest around as you try to take in another breath.

"Please, please don't leave me" you hear her call. You hate how broken her voice sounds. Right now, more thank anything else in the world, you wanted to reply.

And so you break your promise.

"I'm sorry"