Ribs

You wake some time later and it's dark outside. You frown and sit up, looking at Ethan. He looks distinctly ruffled.

"What's wrong babe?" You ask lightly. He doesn't bother answering. You suppose he is just fed up of waiting.

"You can go if you want" you say and he shrugs. You realise you haven't made him any dinner for when he gets back. You start mentally planning a meal. He rises, pushing you away. You wince inaudibly.

"I'm going to find someone" he grunts and you nod with a small smile. He only wanted the best for you.

He returns only five minutes later with a very confused woman wearing the strangest hospital attire you've ever seen. She smiles when she sees you and asks your name. You wait for Ethan to answer; he likes to keep you safe from strangers.

"Come with me then (Y/n)" she says kindly and you get up stiffly, following her down a corridor.

"Babe this is a Doctor" he explains and she nods kindly.

"Doctor who?" You ask and she nods again. You frown but before you can ask again she turns to you both.

"If you could just wait outside" she says to Ethan and he laughs gently.

"I think (Y/n) would rather I stayed, wouldn't you sweetheart?" He asks and you nod. Of course you want him with you. This woman could be anyone. She narrows her eyes and you follow her into a room. Ethan helps you lay down on the bed.

"We're so sorry for the waiting time, we're very busy you see" she says with a smile and you shake her apology away, but Ethan rolls his eyes. You don't want him to appear rude.

"So, what seems to be the problem?" She asks, snapping on some gloves and stepping closer. You hold your breath and she cocks her head expectantly.

You look at Ethan and he opens his mouth to speak.

"Actually I'd rather hear it from (Y/n)" she says, shaking her blonde bob and your breath hitches, terrified of making a mistake.

"I fell down the stairs" you say and Ethan chuckles.

"She's so clumsy, I wonder how she walks in a straight line" he adds and you smile on cue. He was always so helpful.

"Indeed" she says with a small smile. "So where does it hurt?"

"Er, my ribs" you say and she nods.

"Could you just lift your top up for me" she asks and you look worriedly at Ethan. You were obviously straight, but he didn't like anyone touching you.

"Can't you do it with her top on?" He inquires and you nod gratefully.

"Actually no, so I think it might be best you wait outside" she says.

Something about the ways he says it, maybe the tone, or her undetectable note of power makes him obey, giving you one last long look. You know what it means, so look down at your knees. No more eye contact with her.