Ethan

TW: mild violence

He folds the newspaper over and you hold your breath, looking down at your coffee between your shaking hands. This is it, the decider.

"Liberals are at it again, homos and (f/slurs) wanting rights... well, when they can fuck properly they can all the rights they want" he growls, and you take a sip, careful not to let your nails clink against the mug. He hated that.

"Sitting on their backsides all day, that's why they haven't cleared up this bloody Drista virus by now, fire the lot of them I say" he continues. You blink. You put done your coffee a little too hard. He pauses and you hold your breath. Flapping the newspaper he reads on and you release. You were fine.

You rise slowly, eyes down and leave the kitchen. You receive a message and open it up, and instantly want to vomit. It's a random guy in your private messages, and he's sent you as disgusting picture of his penis. You gasp and try to delete it, only for your phone to be yanked out of your hand.

"What are you looking at?" Ethan demands and you flinch as he scrolls through. He is silent for a long time, finger poised over an image. "Who's this?" He says gently, sending shivers down your spine.

"I don't know, I'm sorry, I've never spoken to them before in my life" you gabble as his face remains carefully blank. You upset your bruised ribs and shudder, wincing.

"You don't know, or you don't want me to know?" He asks sweetly and you feel suddenly dizzy.

"Do you know, how much I love you? All that I do for you, only to find you looking at another man?" He says quietly and you feel awful.

"I promise it's not like that! I don't care about this person, it's you I love!" You say, desperately trying to keep your tone even while your throat constricts.

"Then you know that I just want to keep you safe, that anyone else would try to hurt you, and that I will always protect you?" He says softly and you nod hurriedly. Of course, he wasn't angry with you, he was only trying to keep you safe.

"I love you Ethan" you whisper and he smiles.

"There now my love, I will always be here for you, always" he says, pulling you into his arms. He begins to tighten the hug and you laugh gently, trying to push away.

"I just need you with me, stuck to me, yes?" He whispers, squeezing you tighter still.

"Yes, I love you and I'm not going anywhere" you gasp as your lungs are compressed. You squeak as your ribs protest. "Ethan that hurts" you burst out, unable to contain the tears gathering at the corner of your eyes.

"I'm keeping you safe" he murmurs as you try to push away, making him regrasp. Trying not to offend him, you attempt to pull away a little harder until he gives one final squeeze and you hear an audible snap, making you cry out in pain.

He lets you go, catching you before you stumble back, only concern in his eyes. "Oh god baby what was that?" He asks urgently and you pant, clutching your side.

"I think... my rib" you choke as he strokes your face.

"I'm so sorry! Oh baby this is all my fault, I'm useless, you should leave me here to rot" he says, face crumbling, breaking your heart.

"No no! It's ok, it wasn't your fault, I should have said something sooner!" You plead and he nods tearfully.

"I think, I think we might need to go to hospital" you say, feeling your side burn some more. You watch tears gather in his eyes and can't stand it.

"I'll tell them I fell down the stairs, don't worry, I know it was an accident" you say hurriedly as he cups your face, staring at you intently.

"You're the best" he says with a smile. "Are you sure you need the hospital?" He checks again and you nod. You were pretty sure at least one more rib was broken.

He grabs his keys and your hand and leads you out the flat and into the car park. Opening the door for you, he helps you in and straps the belt over your chest. You don't tell him how much it hurts. You want music and luckily he puts the radio on. You relax, keeping your eyes open as Lily Allen Somewhere only we know plays. He smiles and takes your hand, grinning at your contemptment.

He loves to see you happy, and you loved to see him happy too.

You arrive half an hour later and he checks you in, filling out all your forms. He doesn't need to ask anything, he knows everything about you. He always has; you don't keep secrets.

Finally he puts his arm around you, agitating your ribs slightly but you don't mind too much, it doesn't hurt a great deal, and you wouldn't want to upset him, not after he took care of everything for you.

He kisses you lightly on the head and you find yourself nodding off, snuggled into his warm chest, listening to the warm beat of his heart.