Babies

"So where are we going?"

You snap out of your reverie and watch as Yaz and Ryan squabble amongst themselves. The Doctor turns to you but you deliberately avoid eye contact.

You have no idea what just happened in the medbay but something was off. You felt light and safe like nothing was holding you back. And it scared you.

"Fine I'll choose, Doctor where-" Yaz stops and rolls her eyes."when you're done staring at (Y/n)..." she says slyly as the blonde shakes her head and blushes, looking away.

"So, are you two..?" Starts Ryan but The Doctor shoots him a look. He smiles and turns away, raising his eyebrows at Graham who looks quietly thoughtful. You are glad when the takeoff takes your mind off things, and as usual you are last out the door. You are in a forest clearing, and strange noises reverberate around you.

"Um, Doctor?" Starts Yaz and you all look over at her as picks something up and turns to face you. You're not sure what you were expecting, but a baby wasn't it.

"Hiya honey" smiles The Doctor, relieving Yaz and rocking the baby gently. It coos and opens its mouth, mimicking her facial expressions.

"Possibly stupid question, why is there a random child here?" Asks Graham and The Doctor thinks. Just then you hear another cry, and turn to your right to find another baby partially submerged in a bush. You swallow your fears and pick it up, walking back round The Tardis to The Doctor.

"Make that two random babies" you say and she look surprised. "I think this is a girl"

"Mines a boy, Yaz what are you-?" She asks as Yaz disappears then appears a moment later with another baby.

"Ok, this is getting weird now" says The Doctor, adjusting her baby and checking Yaz's who frets.

"There's light over there" points out Ryan and you all turn to see what may be a village in the distance.

"Ok, well everyone grab a child and let's get going"

"Would you like me to carry her?" Says Graham kindly and you gulp.

"Yes, yes please" you stammer, passing her over and trying not to cry from the stress of actually talking to a man. He smiles and tickles her nose while she makes cute noises.

Looking up you catch The Doctor's expression. She smiles and you blush.

She nods in encouragement and you feel pleased. You had done it. It was small, but you had spoken to a man. For perhaps the first time in years.

Baby steps.