Exits

You arrive at the console room and stop, surveying it and the people nearby. Graham nods his head at you in a friendly manner and you try not to take a step back. Ryan waves and you duck your head, The Doctor approaching you with a smile.

"Ryan waved at you, did you see?" She asks and you nod, still looking at the floor.

"Has he turned away yet?" You mutter and she shuffles to glance at him.

"Yes"

You allow yourself to look up into her questioning eyes.

"(Y/n) you're allowed to talk to him"

You shake your head and look away, checking the exits. She notices and cocks her head.

"(Y/n), how many exits are there from this room"

"Four" you reply, confused.

"And if someone were to come through those doors, where would be the most strategic place to hide?"

"Well... under the grilled platform by the door. You'd have a good vantage point while being in half light, so you yourself are virtually undetectable. You could climb back up through the doors when it was clear, and you could fit at least three people down there. The layered walls would absorb all noise, and the stairs leading down are fixed, meaning no creaking would be heard" you answer honestly. She raises her eyebrows and narrow your eyes. "Why?"

"Yaz come here" she calls and the girl walks over with a tentative smile.

"Yaz how many exits are there from this room?" She asks politely.

"Um, four or five?" She turns to count. "Yeah four, why?"

"And if this ship was breached, where would you hide?"

"My room?"

"Where you would be trapped, with only one exit and no contact with other crew mates?" The Doctor adds and the girl frowns.

"I don't know, I've never really thought about it"

"No, of course you haven't. Because you know you are safe within these walls"

"Yes, obviously. Nothing gets thought those doors" she says with a grin. The Doctor looks at you calmly and you scowl. So what that you thought ahead. Nothing wrong with being prepared for when the inevitable happened.

"Ok" says The Doctor loudly, making you jump. "Where to?" She asks with a smile.

"Well you mentioned last night about these elephant things?" Starts Ryan and the blonde grins.

"Perfect, everyone hold on"

You understand why when the ship takes off and you are very nearly thrown to the floor, your slightly weak ankle protesting as you try to grip to the golden pillars.

You land with a bone shaking thud that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.

"Ok everyone out, usual rules apply" she smiles as the boys walk out first into streaking sunlight. You follow last, sure to have no one behind you. You instantly smile. Alien planets were so beautiful.