Chapter Ten

CHAT NOIR POV

Ladybug specifically ignores me as I drop next to her.

"What appears to be the problem?" I ask, trying to ignore the tensity in the air. We're standing on the Eiffel Tower, looking down at the beautiful Paris below us.

It's a Sunday afternoon, and me being with Ladybug isn't helping my serious guilt. I sigh, wondering why she called me to speak only to end up ignoring me. 

"Look, Chat. Um. I have a boyfriend, you have a girlfriend." she doesn't even look up, her words cold and expressionless. "I - we've - made a terrible mistake. I mean, I'm in love with someone else! I can't handle dealing with you and them."

She finally turns around, and her beautiful eyes are sparkling with tears. I sigh, wishing I could walk over and give her a hug. But I can't.

It would only make everything worse. 

"I get it." I say at last. "But honestly, LB, I just...I love my girlfriend but..." I can't believe what I'm saying. 

"You still love me, don't you." Ladybug murmurs, her eyes looking anywhere but into mine. I push my hands through my hair, feeling tears of anger and sadness fill my eyes. "Yes, I still have...feelings for you, Ladybug. And that kiss didn't help."

She leans her elbows over the railing, settling her back against it as well. She flips her head down, looking at her toes. She says something, but it's so low I can barely hear. "What?" I ask. 

"Why?" she mumbles, looking up. "Why...?" 

I glance over her shoulder, taking in the beautiful world. "I think...um...my relationship with my girlfriend was a little rushed. Ladybug, I don't want to love you anymore. I really don't. I just want to see you as a friend, not anything more."

For some reason, Ladybug flinches at my words, but whatever she's feeling she hides well. "I...I care about you, Chat. More than you'll ever know. But...romance is just out of the option. The amount of guilt I felt today? That was all because of a kiss with me and you. And no, I know I'm to blame as well," Ladybug shifts positions, shifting so her back faces me instead. "But this can never happen again. The only way to ensure that we don't have this romance, I've made a decision."

I gulp. Her tone is gentle, but there is something very off about how she is speaking. "What...what decision?" I whisper, terrified. I love Ladybug, but I don't want her to put a death sentence on me.

"Whenever there is an Akuma, each one of us gets a turn. For one Akuma, I'll go. For another Akuma, you go." she says firmly. 

I blink. This is much, much worse than a death sentence. 

"Wha- Ladybug! This is a terrible plan! You can't work without me, and I can't work without you!" I grab her hands, trying to get her attention. But she's shut down, her face turned firmly from mine. 

My desperation starts to get heated, and before I even knew it happened, I take my claws and...

SCRATCH

Ladybug lets out a deafening scream, pulling away from me. I gasp, only getting a glimpse of her bloodied arm. "Oh my god, Ladybug..." I whisper desperately. She gives me a teary-eyed glance. "I think..." she lets out a soft moan, "I made the right choice."

She struggles for a bit, her left arm tucked into her chest. And then, with a fling of her yo-yo, she's gone. 

I watch her go, my whole body buzzing and numb. I can't believe it. I scratched Ladybug. Holy butterflies, I made her bleed. 

I suddenly scream, an angry, furious scream, gazing into the distance. I really don't understand. What the hell is wrong with me?