Chapter One

MARINETTE POV

I stare gloomily down at the paper lying in front of me. 

The classroom is deadly silent, except for the light scritches of pencils. I groan inwardly, trying to understand how I could have possibly forgotten about the science test. And forgotten to study.

It probably had something to do with the fact that I was up 'til one o'clock last night fighting an Akuma. I think sarcastically, glaring at the questions on the paper. No one knows how hard it is balancing a superhero life and also a high school student's. I sometimes wish that Tikki had warned me about that when she first met me. 

But I'm pretty sure the other Ladybug Miraculous holders weren't high school students.

I hear a soft sigh from the seat below me, interrupting my thoughts. Peering curiously over the edge of my desk, I watch as the perfectly styled haired blondie ahead of me yawn and slump in his seat. I smile softly, wondering why Adrien would be tired.

Adrien Agreste. The perfect boy. With dreamy, pretty green eyes and the most perfect smile, he's every girls dream. I've had a crush on him for ages. Whenever bluebell eyes meet emerald green, my heart pounds and my words turn to meaningless blabber. And trust me, I've gone as far as trying to speak to him through my eyes.

And yes, I am that desperate.

I just glare at the back of his head and think: fall in love with me. Fall in love with me! Guess what I learned? Your teacher will think you're cheating off his exam paper, and and he'll get creeped out and ask if you need glasses. 

I've dubbed it a work in progress.

Adrien is a model for his dad's designs. He's super popular, and actually a minor celebrity. He probably goes to sleep at a lovely time, to maintain his perfect complexion, at like eight PM. That's a dream come true for me, even during vacations. 

But here he is, slumped on his desk, eyes closed. I tap my pencil against the test paper, and my mind comes up with reasons as to why he would be tired. 

I look down again at my paper, and scribble answers next to the test questions. Maybe he was busy patenting something, I think. Or maybe he was doing a late-night photoshoot. Or perhaps he was studying.Or maybe he's Chat Noir!

I chuckle at the thought. It might be difficult for me to handle being Ladybug, Paris's Savior heroine, and being a teenager, but I can bet you: being a (super cute) model and a superhero? Impossible. Also, Adrien is too sweet and innocent to be Chat Noir, my best guy-friend, who also happens to be a talented (and annoying) pun-artist, and is very flirtatious. 

I've told Chat hundreds of times that my heart belongs to someone else, and watching the pain he tries to cover up is like a punch in the face. You can literally see his heart crack. His eyes sort of water, but he grins, pretending pretending pretending. I've sometimes wondered if I should pretend I like him to relieve some of his sadness, but I know faking it would hurt him more when he realizes it's not genuine. 

Chat reminds me of someone else, who also has blond hair and far too much pain in their eyes. But Adrien? Chat Noir? Impossible.

The bell rings, startling me out of my daydreams. The pretty, ombre-haired girl beside has a grim look on her face. "That test was killer," Alya Césaire, my best friend and confidante, grumbles. I blink as the teacher goes around, grabbing tests. Before she reaches my desk, I glance down at my answers.

I barely even remember answering them.

Which of the following statements about cell membranes is NOT true? 

A. They are barriers between the inside and outside of the cell. 

B. They contain proteins which perform a variety of transport functions. 

C. They are composed of phospholipids. 

D. They allow DNA to move in and out of the cell. 

I had written: Adrien Agreste is the cutest boy alive. And next to it, a bunch of hearts and scribbles that (admittedly) couldn't give his perfect face justice.

Oh no.

I grab my pencil, my face bright red. I try to erase as quickly as possible, horrified with my other answers. Some of them going from: Does he like me?  to How is it possible for someone to be so perfect?!

 Our science teacher is Ms. Mendeleiev, and she definitely isn't categorized as the nicest person. I nearly rip a hole through my paper, erasing faster and faster. I'm almost done with the first page, when suddenly Ms. Mendeleiev snatches my paper right out of my hands, moving forward to the next student. 

I groan, dropping my head to the desk. Alya hands her test to the teacher, giving me a funny look. "You alright, girl?" she asks, her voice brimming with concern. I just moan noisily.

Alya shakes her head. "You can say that again. That test was probably the hardest one they gave all year! Me and Nino spent all of yesterday studying." I sigh as she talks on, her voice droning in my ears as a background to my anger and humiliation. 

I stand up dejectedly, throwing my backpack over my shoulder, staring at the door. I can't wait to leave and-

"Marinette, where are you going?" Ms. Busteir calls after me. I freeze, turning on my heel. I hadn't noticed her walk in.

Everyone's sitting in their chairs and staring at me curiously. "Marinette, it's only second period..." Nino whispers in my direction, but it's loud enough for everyone to hear. A couple kids smirk and even giggle. Especially Chloe Bourgeois, who's actually laughing. I cringe, giving everyone a sheepish smile. I was so tired that I'd forgotten school wasn't even close to over!

Suddenly, Lila Rossi stands up. This can't be good. Though, now that I think about it, everything Lila does can't be good. 

Lila Rossi is my arch-enemy, literally the only one I have, other than Hawkmoth. But I have to admit, I don't really know Hawkmoth personally. Lila has thick red hair, and evil, slanted green eyes. If I didn't know for sure that Hawkmoth was male, I would've thought Lila was. 

Okay, I know it's mean but it's true. 

Lila stands beside me, wrapping a comforting arm around my shoulders. I shrug away from her touch, but she grabs my shoulders. Hard. Her nails literally dig into my skin.

"Guys, I noticed that Marinette was looking at her foot! I think it's bothering her because she has a severe case of an ingrown toenail. My grandma had that once. It was really bad, and she suffered a nasty infection! Her toe turned all nasty and green. I'm recognizing symptoms in Marinette similar to my grandmas! It's really contagious, and I'm worried for the safety and health of your feet and hers. The poor girl was probably just trying to escape to the bathroom to take care of that foot!" 

The giggles disappear, replaced by looks of disgust. Alya subtly edges away from my desk, and Ms. Bustiers face turns green. The only person who doesn't look grossed out it Adrien. He just glares angrily at Lila. 

Oh, butterflies. 

Hey, readers! So that's all for now. I'll try to update when I can, but I have school and all that, and it might take a while. But I hoped you enjoyed, and I promise there will be tons of Adrinette in the next chapter. 

Be cool :)

-andPEGGY3779