Chapter Nine

ADRIEN POV

I climb out of my limo, waving good-bye to Natalie, whom barely looks up.

I stare at the school building, barely hearing my car rush away. My heart is pounding, the guilt like black, sticky goop at the back of my throat. 

I can't believe I kissed Ladybug, I think guiltily. I take a deep breath. I have no idea whether I should tell Marinette or not. What am I going to say? 

Oh, hey Marinette! How are you doing? By the way, I just randomly kissed a super hero last night (I was in love with her for a while), but don't worry, I still love you!

Yeah, I don't think so. 

I take another breath, and prepare to enter school. I'm a little late, and I'm terrified to face Marinette. I cheated on her! I literally pressed my lips to another girl, who isn't my girlfriend. Holy Canembert, the guilt makes it hard to breathe. 

Not only that, Ladybug admitted her love to another person! We both cheated. Holy holy holy mother of cheese. 

I open the school building, feeling like I'm about to enter hell. I practically expect Marinette to be on the other side, giving me a death stare so bad that my body splits on two.

But no, the school is empty. My heart beats faster as I walk slowly toward the door of our classroom. Every step weighs me down, and an ill feeling travels up my throat. I gulp down my feelings of guilt, shame and horror, trying not to barf everywhere. 

I open the classroom door. 

MARINETTE POV

The moment I see the blonde-haired boy at the classroom door, my stomach acts up again.

I shut my eyes closed, trying to focus myself. But it's impossible. My guilt hangs over my head, like a looming, dark cloud of regret and sadness. I can't believe this has happened.

After months of pushing away Chat, I end up kissing him the week I get a boyfriend?! 

How stupid is that.

Tikki tried to raise my spirits this morning, but it was mission impossible. I almost didn't get out of bed, the shame was so deep. Adrien waves softly at Nino, and then looks up at me. He gives me a warm and sweet smile that splits my heart in two. 

What have I done?

Adrien sits down in his seat in front of me, which makes my anxiety and guilt a little easier to bear. If I can't see Adrien, then I should be fine. But I'm not fine. 

All I think about for the rest of class is my horrific guilt. It just grows deeper and deeper, a sinking hole in my stomach. I blink away tears, trying to hold back the waterfall.

But I've never been good at holding back tears. 

I start to hiccup, and tears pour down my cheeks. I can't handle the shame and guilt. Ms. Bustier looks over at me, her blue eyes wide with concern. "Marinette...?" 

For the first time ever, I leap out of my desk, and run out of the classroom. I try desperately to brush my tears away with the heels of my hands, but it's impossible. I plop down at the steps of the school, and my eyes start streaming, a river of salty tears. 

I hear footsteps behind me, too light to be Ms. Bustier but too heavy to be Alya.

"Marinette?" Adrien's gentle voice floats into my ears, and my body relaxes and tenses at the same time. 

I feel him rather than see him sit beside me. A finger gently goes to my neck, and he turns my head to face him, smiling sweetly. "What's wrong, sweet-bug?" It's an odd pet-name, but it hits a bit close to home. 

I sigh, brushing my bangs from eyes. I'm no sweet-bug, I think. "I...uh...I'm tired, I guess. Also a bit stressed, homework and all..." I say weakly. Adrien nods, understanding as usual. "That makes sense. You know," he looks in my eyes, a serious look decorating the green irises. "I love you, Marinette."

For a moment, I forget about Chat. I gaze into his eyes with wonder, my heart pounding. I feel very, very heartsick. And at that moment, most of my guilt gently flutters away. That kiss didn't mean anything, I think. This boy is the one who's captured my heart. 

Adrien leans down and gently kisses me, and a feeling of warmth and safety creeps throughout my body. I wrap my arms around him, cuddling into him. 

"This is quite lovely, Ms. Dupen-Cheng and Mr. Agreste, but it is time for class." Ms. Bustier's gentle yet firm voice breaks us out of our spell. We pull apart, blushing as everyone giggles at us. 

"Lovebirds!" Alya accuses. Chloe harrumphs, looking away from us. Lila just has her jaw dropped. Apparently, news hasn't gotten around about me and Adrien's romance. I can't believe my friend's didn't tell anyone. 

I laugh, pulling Adrien up. I lean into him, with one arm wrapped around his waist, and his wrapped over my shoulders. I peer up at him, and give him a warm smile. 

For one moment that passes so quickly I assume it is my imagination, Adrien has a sad, guilty look. But it's gone just as quickly as it came, and I shrug off the odd moment. 

I have Adrien. And no matter what, we're in it together. 

Chat Noir or not.