Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Kate

"Hello?" I answered my phone.

"I'm downstairs," Jay said. He didn't need to say it was him. Who else would be calling me this early in the morning?

After last night's disastrous dinner I woke up this morning feeling positive and ready for this challenge. I wouldn't let myself get that nervous and shy again. I had to get my shit together if I wanted this to work.

I ran around the flat to make sure that I had everything. I didn't have much to pack anyway other than Jay's purchases. I didn't have a lot of personal items. My flat was pretty much empty. I liked knowing that I could fit everything I had in one bag. With the idea that I could wake up and go if I needed to... in case he found me.

Grading my things I took one look around the flat before shutting the door and rushing down the stairs.

"You got everything we bought?" he asked as he gave me the once over. "What's that?" he said pointing at my large travelling bag. It was old and the handle was only just managing to hold itself but it worked.

"My travelling bag," I said as he took the bag from my hands. I've had it ever since I ran away from home. It's little a Mary Poppins bag you can fit near anything in it.

"Derek stop at Chelsea squared please" he called. "We need to get you a new bag, I'm not having my girlfriend turn up in that," he said in disgust. I just ignored him. It was way too early to argue over a bag. I was beginning to see that Jay wasn't a bad guy. We just had very different lives. Lives where people like him got everything they wanted and people like me... well didn't.

"Right you are sir," Derek said

We stopped outside Mulberry and I felt my heart jump to my throat. Mulberry was like royalty of handbag fashion! Meaning you had to pay with rubies and diamonds just to get a keychain.

Jay pulled me in and told me to pick a travelling bag and I thought I was going to faint right there in the thought of the sales assistant. After taking longer than Jay would have liked I finally picked a bag and run back to the car.

"To my parents Derek," Jay said as he started helping me move my things over to the most beautiful bag I'd ever seen.

I couldn't believe there is a Mulberry bag on my lap. I just kept on touching it and worshipping its amazingness. Enjoy the moment as it lasts Kate, I told myself. I know at the end I would have to return it all to Jay but for now, this baby and I are going to have a good time.

Finishing moving my things into the new love of my life, I made space to fit my old bag in. For some reason, I couldn't part with it.

"Derek, you can have the rest of the week off after this drop. I remember you saying it's your daughter's birthday?" Jay spoke whilst tapping at his phone.

"Well remembered Sir. Yes, little Poppy's eighth" the driver said cheerfully.

"Oh is that your daughter?" I pointed to a picture that was on the dashboard.

"Yeah ain't she a beaut, got a party for her this afternoon" he smiled proudly at the picture. It was lovely to see. "It's just a small gathering of family and friends, she's been excited about it all week, woke up this morning to all the balloons and decorations my wife made up, she was a happy one" I smiled at the kind man as he talked about his daughter with such love.

"I hope you have a lovely time" I smiled back at him.

"Thank you Miss and you on your week away" he returned a smile my way but I found it harder this time to smile back on the thought of what this week had to come.