Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Kate

"Do you have to drive so fast?" I said fearing for my life. He was doing over a hundred along the motorway speeding past all the other cars so fast that they just looked like blurs of colour.

"Don't tell me how to drive" was all he said.

"Well if you stuck to the speed limit I wouldn't have to" I laughed nervously.

"Do you wanna drive?!" he snapped.

"I can't. I haven't got a licence" I had only ever been in a car a few times in my life. Taking the bus and train most places.

"Then shut up," he said in a mocking tone. Most likely shocked that I was questioning his driving when I couldn't drive myself.

It was quiet for a few minutes until a felt the car slow down a bit. I saw he was back under ninety which was better than before.

"There you happy?" he said sarcastically.

"Ecstatic" I whispered in reply.

"So why haven't you got a licence?" he asked.

"Never felt then need to living in London" I didn't think it needed to be said that I couldn't afford it.

"Have you always lived in London?" he asked another question about me that confused me. Why does he care? What was he trying to get out of this? I turned to look at him showing a confused expression. "What? I'm making small talk. We've got another two hours of this"

"Manchester, Chatsworth" I answered.

"You don't sound like you're from Manchester," he said matter of factly.

"I moved around a lot" I was being rude which I didn't mean to be. I was just trying to remember what Jay said about keeping my real life a secret but Jake was making it hard with all these questions.

"Why?" he asked. I didn't know what to say that my real Mum and Da had to keep running from gangs they owed drug money too so we had to hide. My foster family abused me so I ran away. I'm scared they will come back that's why I can fit my whole flat in one bag. No, I don't think that's the story Jay wants me to tell but maybe something near the truth might stop Jake's questions.

"That's what happens when you're put in care," I said which seemed to silence him.

"So how did you end up in London?" I had to answer this carefully.

"I was born originally in Dagenham so I always wanted to come back down here. I left my foster home at sixteen to start over. To build a new and better life"

"How's that working out for ya?" he asked.

"Better than when I was sixteen that's for sure" I mumbled. I could tell that he wanted to ask more and I'm glad he didn't. I already said more than I should have.

I started playing around with my hands nervously.

Jake put the roof up as we came on the motorway so the wind didn't bother us. I was thankful as the wind kept blowing my dress up my legs I had to keep my hands there. Luckily he didn't notice.

So I was thankful for the roof. However, it just made the silence worse. It was about an hour since either of us spoke, with only the radio as background noise.

I needed a wee. We've been on the road for three hours and I've tried to hold it as much as I could but I really can't anymore. I waited up till we drove past a nearby welcome break.

"Jake?" I said nervously.

"Yer," he said looking straight at the road still with the same poker face expression.