Chapter 6

Jay

Last night I did a little background check on the girl, Katie Smith.

I couldn't find anything scandalous about her.

She was twenty, lived in Soho London but used to live in Manchester with her foster family until she was sixteen, the files didn't say much about her family or her foster parents as that kind of thing was confidential but from the eyes of the law the girl was clean... but we all had ghosts in the wardrobe I just needed to know what they were before the press did.

I looked at my watch and it was quarter past four.

"She won't be long. She is most likely at her other job," Mickey said sitting in his chair as we waited.

Yes, her file listed a little bakery ran by a Mrs Camilla Walker I recall in Kings Avenue, Soho. No stone unturned. That was my job. I even worked on digging up some dirt on Mickey boy here, in case he thought about crossing me over. He'd regret it for the rest of his life.

"That's fine" I asked. It wasn't fine. One of the things I hate was waiting for other people. I'd rather be an hour early for a meeting than me late but I still sat in the chair opposite Browns deck like a good little boy.

It was silent again as we waited. After another five minutes I could hear foot steps running towards the office, followed by a knock at the door.

"Come in," Mickey said. The door opened and the girl from last night stepped in.

I stood to welcome her. She looked different today, with her hair up in a bun and dressed casually in jeans and a jacket. She was perfect for the part, plan but still pretty in her own way.

I wanted my mother to see no wrong about her yet also see no right normal on the verge of boring air about her that wouldn't be seen as interesting. I wasn't being cruel, I'm sure when you got to know the girl and she let her guard down she was splendid. However, right now with that nervous little look on her face she was a shy and scared little church mouse and that's what I was looking for. If my family like her too much they'd want to see her all the time and if they hated her they'd want to spend the whole week getting rid of her. I want this whole relationship to seem so boring to my mother that she won't even bother.

"Jay, this is Kate Smith. Kate this is Jay Minster" Brown introduced her.

"Hi," I said extending my hand for her to shake which she took with her small hand shyly.

"Nice to meet you," she said in a small soft tone, I notices that she didn't have the thick Manchester accent. As a stood next to her I realised how much shorter she was to me, her head barely reached my shoulder, it made her look much younger than she was with her height and her face looked young with her shyness.

"Right well let's get some T's and C's down," Mickey said as we all sat down, he passed us both a copy of the contract we started looking through. As a lawyer, I'd learned to read every single detail on a contract in record time too.

"Kate, Jay will be taking you away this weekend with his family, correct?" Mickey read looking from Kate to me.

"Well it's a long weekend in the country; we'll be leaving Sunday and staying till Wednesday or Thursday I believe at Rupert Anderson's golf resort. My family will be attending and so will many more members of society and I wish you to accompany me as my girlfriend, only in public of course" I explain to her as she looked from me to the contract in her hands nervously.

"Did you manage to get time for your other job?" Mick asked.

"Yes Millie says it is fine" she replied nodding looking back at the contract, I was glad she was reeding the small print as well. That showed the girl had brains instead of just signing it straight away.