Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Jake

"We've got a pulse" the medic shouted. I was on my feet helplessly as they put her on a stretcher and in the ambulance.

One of the guys pulled me up and put me in the car with her. It was like I was in the water. Everything around me was unclear and I couldn't hear. I felt as though I was drowning and my heart hadn't told the rest of my body that it was dying right now.

Because that's what would happen if she died, I would be gone with her. This was my entire fault, I was meant to keep her safe. That was the plan.

She loved me... she loved me so much that she kept me safe and I couldn't even return the favour. She has done everything to keep me safe, if she dies because of me I'll never forgive myself. I couldn't live if she wasn't there with me.

Here I was... sitting in the hospital waiting. That's all I could do was wait. While the love of my life fought for her life all I could do was sit here and wait. They were telling me nothing.

When I came in I had to be moved by the hospital security as I wanted to be with her. Now six hours later I was sitting in the same seat, watching the same nurses pass me by giving me that sympathy look... why were they looking at me like that? What did they know that they weren't telling me?

Two more hours went by and I made the call to my Mum, I needed someone here. I was making myself crazy.

"Hello," she answered.

"Mum..." I cried.

"Jake! Where have you been?" she sounded worried.

"Mum... it's Kate. There has been an accident.... I need you" I cried.

I heard her high heels on the hospital floor before I saw her and Da walking towards me. I was up and walking towards them as soon as I saw them.

"Mum" I cried as I pulled her in for a hug before breaking down. "It's all my fault... it's all my fault! It should have been me!" I screamed.

Two hours later we were all still sitting on the same chairs, knowing the same information, nothing. I hadn't said much to my parents since they got here other than what happened but just having them near was better than not. If the news was... bad, I don't know what I'll do.

"Mr Minster?" a man in a white doctor's shirt came over to me.

"Yeah" I jumped up to meet him, as did Mum and Dad. "What's going on?" I asked needing to know.

"I think its best that you come into my office so we can talk," the Doctor said. I felt my whole body go weak. I thought I was going to be sick. I felt Da pull his arm around me to pull me into the room with them.

"We're his parents," Mum told the Doctor.

"So what's the news?" Da asked as we sat down. I couldn't speak.

"I'm afraid to have to tell you this but your fiancé has suffered a server brain injury. It's called TBI, Traumatic Brain Injury. The force and speed of the impact caused the blow to the head that causes the brain to move inside the skull. We've put her into a coma to allow any damage to be repaired but there is a possibility that some damage is beyond repair." I let out a cry as I jumped off the chair and started pacing the room. Coma... she was in a coma, she wasn't dead.

"She'll live?" I asked as my hands flow all around the place as I tried to pull myself together.

"For now her vitals look normal but it's going to be a long wait before we can see the true significations of the injury," the Doctor said.