Chapter 39

"Is that it!" he laughed. I left him to walk back up to me again but I turned out of his way. "Babe it's ok... how much we talking?" he grinned at me but after a while when he saw I wasn't smiling back his voice changed to worried. "Kate?" he said putting on his boxers, thank God I thought.

"Fifty grand," I said so quietly that I don't think he heard me but when I looked up I knew he did.

"What? Why do you need that much money?" he sat back down on the bed looking confused.

"I can't tell you" I cried.

"You want me to give you fifty thousand and I can't ask why?" he leant on his knees as he pulled his fingers through his hair.

"Y... yes" the ball in my throat was getting bigger.

"No" he stood looking a little angry "I can't just do that without knowing what you need it for, are you in some kind of trouble? I need to know" he stared at me with every type of emotion running through his eyes.

"Jake I just need the money! I can't do this anymore, I can't be with you! I just..." I pasted the room with my shaking hands flying through my hair. I had to do this, it was for the best, it was for the best I kept telling myself. Although a part of me was saying, was it? Just tell him the truth!

It shouted but the more he knew the more he was in danger of making Bill angry. I was so young back when I lived with them. I didn't know how much power they had. I still didn't know now. But it was enough for them to have tracked me down, find who Millie was... I couldn't chance any of their threats. I couldn't risk Jake getting hurt, through the press or worse physically.

I loved him too much... I loved him! I love him enough to leave him and never see him again, just to keep him safe.

"Look if you can't give me the money I'll tell the press how we really got together" I turned to him to say. I don't know how I got the power to let the words fall from my mouth but there they were.

"What?" his voice alone was enough to break my heart but with that face... I have no idea how I managed to keep from falling to the ground begging to take that back.

"You heard me. I want your money or I'll go to the press" my chest rose and fell hard and fast as I stared him down.

"Oh I heard you I just can't believe what just came out of your mouth, did you really just threaten me?" he replied angrily. He looked so hurt and broken... he looked out of control of his emotions.

"Yes, that's all I've ever wanted. Your family was right about me, I'm a gold-digger and I'll stop at nothing till I get what I want, even if that means pretending like I want to be with you. But last night you took it too far. I can't marry you, I don't love you" The room went silent as my words echoed around the room like some evil ghost.

He went to sit back on the bed that no more than a few hours ago we were both laying naked in. I stood across the room holding on to the door frame for support as I looked at Jake.

The room was silent with only his deep breathing for sound. He was leaning again of his knees as he tried to control himself. I knew he had a temper and I could see his mussels tighten around his arms. He looked terrifying but I knew he would never hurt me, he was nothing like Bill.

"You're a piece of work you know that, how dear you threaten me after all I've done for you, after all, I've given you! I gave up my family for you!" he shouted.

"I never asked you to"

"No!" he stood up looking at me from across the room. "No you didn't did ya, you played the hard done by act and I fell for it. Hock line and sinker, so you didn't have to ask for anything..." he started pacing the room. "God Ahh!" he punched the wall making me jump.