𝟔𝟏 | battle wounds

𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒊𝒈 𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒌!∘◦ ✾ ◦∘_______ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘

_______

MAY WAS MORE THAN RELIEVED WHEN HER AND THE GROUP MADE IT BACK SAFELY TO THE CAVE. no one else went out to scout for the rest of the day, as echo believed it were best to just lay low after the confrontation they had with the other prisoners just hours ago. and may agreed, going out felt too risky, and it was best to stay down for the time being, until in a couple of days, of course.

the young mother felt as if everything were moving to fast, she felt as if they didn't get to rest after their escape, and that before her eyes, they were already planning their next move. and may knew it was only for survival, but situations like the ones they were currently in, always made her anxious.

but she decided to ignore her feelings, and go with her inner survival instincts that making a plan immediately was best. and that's why she was with her group, listening to echo's words as she informed everyone, specifically diyoza, what the opposing team's plan was.

"they're digging in at all 3 northern entry points. dry tributaries here, here, and here. each position has two pillboxes on either side of the entry point with gunners evenly divided."

may watched as diyoza's face dropped at the sudden realization of something, "son of a bitch." she cursed, "he's using my playbook." she began to explain, "two gunner positions at each entry point. my battle plan called for the use of eligius blast shelters. i dropped my notebook at the gas station. mccreary must have found it."

nini and may both sighed simultaneously, knowing that this wasn't a very good sign for any of them. the young mother could see how smart, and intelligent diyoza was, and since mccreary got ahold of that information, it didn't seem too good for them.

"how detailed?"

"deployment formations. weapons distributions. first strike options. countermoves." diyoza simply replied, obviously bothered by her recent discovery, "everything i could think of. and i think of everything."

murphy didn't seem too happy, but kept his composure like the rest of everyone else, "okay, so, is there a safe way to get in or not?"

diyoza paused for a moment, staring deep into the orange flames as a way to think, just before she cocked her head in realization, and looked at the group, a grim smile growing slowly on her face. may knew, whatever the plan were to be, it was gonna be good.

-

after a long hour of listening to the new plan being ruled out, when they were all finished discussing it, may was the first to get up and move to the other side of the cave, as she was getting tired after the long day she had, and knew another long one was to be ahead of her.

she laid not too close to the fire, but close enough to still feel a bit of its warmth. she was curled up in a ball, hugging herself and laying up against the uncomfortable rock, deep in her thoughts.

war. it was something may had been through so many times, and luckily, her and her people came out alive at the end of it. she just wasn't sure if she'd make it this time, and that included her and her loved ones.

she was tired of war, it had always been mentally, and physically draining. as each time, she got a battle wound from it.

the battle at the drop ship, the first war may had ever experienced, she fell down the hatch and passed out, cracking open the front of her forehead as she fell face first. her mother, jenna, had stitched up her wound, but she still has a tiny scar still indented on her forehead, and could feel if she wanted to.

the war at mount weather, may was tied down to the table, sacrificing herself so abby wouldn't be the one to get drilled. she still had the healed scar indented on her thigh, that was the shape of a small hole. that day, had to have been the most traumatic day may fernsby had ever experienced.

at polis, just days before a.l.i.e invaded trikru's homestead, may was shot by titus, and forced to feel every second of pain as clarke dug it out of her shoulder, having murphy by her side making the pain just a bit more tolerable.

and then being forced in a cell with others, being refused food, water, the right to use the bathroom with privacy, the ligature marks from the cuffs rung tightly around her wrists, it was all something she knew she'd never forget, those long days of torture.

this time, this battle wasn't with an opposing team, it was with a natural disaster, praimfaya.
may didn't remember getting physically harmed during the war, only the mental scars that stuck with her. the radiation caused the death of her friends, one of them being krystal ashbrook, the girl may considered a sister she thought she would never get to have.

then there was the pain of having to forcefully be split up from her loved ones, while she went up in space as it was the only choice she and her friends had. the pain of not getting to see her other friends down below for years, being isolated away in space, made her feel pain she couldn't imagine.

and now, this was yet another war may fernsby was going to be involved in, not really having any other choice to because it depended on the survival of her, and the people she cared for.

may fernsby was ripped out of her trance by the voice of her daughter, nini fernsby, being heard, specifically singing, "and the cow went moo, and the chicken went bawk! then the pig went oink!"

the young mother couldn't help but chuckle to herself lightly, her daughter was certainly special, who had the personality of the man she loved. and those were two people she knew would forever be her family, no matter what.

author's note🩺
okay i had to add in nini singing that random song because honestly who wouldn't love to hear that song being sung by a twelve year old right before war? because i know i would!

this is a bit of another filler chapter, but also a bit of an insider about may's thoughts, and her past that's very worth mentioning, as it is crucial to her storyline.