Samseaa

Hi! I’m Ayesha, and I’m an interviewer from the Crazy Late Nighters community (CLN).  You have been nominated by @LuckyBugBooks to be interviewed for our book, Vintage.

Firstly, what’s the name you’d like me to go by for this interview, and what are your pronouns?

Sam, she/her

Oh Sam! Its a pretty name.

Ahh thank you! It’s kind of annoying when I’d get new teachers in class and they’d automatically look towards the boys lmao

That’s upsetting. Sam is still a pretty name though. 

Thank you!

No worries! When did you begin writing?

I guess I started writing in primary school, when we’d do creative writing in class - so from about five. I’d always been a massive bookworm so it was really only natural that I’d show an interest in writing. When I discovered wattpad when I was 12, it was all over for me haha

Ah yes, that’s explanatory. I discovered Wattpad around that age as well. 
From what I gather, you write fanfiction, but please correct me if I’m wrong. About whom do you write it?

A bunch of fandoms! I’ve got a couple of Boku no hero fics as well as tmnt, detroit: become human, BNA, among other drabbles for way more. My most popular works are Ninjago fanfics. I’ve also got a Haikyuu!! short fic in the works.

Woah, that’s a lot of names! Which of your fanfics would you consider your favourite, and why? Can you pick?

Definitely my fic ‘The Butterfly Effect.’ It’s about Lloyd from Ninjago. This story is my favourite because I made my own version of the canon that I’ve really developed (the show’s timeline is a little messy). I’ve also just written so much for it that it’s easy for me to write for that world. It’s like visiting another version of home!
It’s gained a big audience so I’ve been able to meet a lot of amazing people through to be honest. Many of them I can proudly call friends! It’s also inspired other people to write their own fics about the story I’m telling which is just absolutely friggin’ CRAZY. They’re seriously the coolest people in the world.

Okay, that is absolutely amazing! What is TBE about?

Tbe is a x reader fic (yes I’m one of those lmao). Without spoiling too much of it, the story follows part of the show while also developing my own version of the canon. It’s an action/romance/mystery and, at its core, is about developing a healthy relationship and learning to communicate while going through huge trials that put a bunch of stress on Lloyd and MC. There’s a particular arc about toxic friends that’s inspired by real life events me and my best friend had to deal with so it’s a story that’s pretty close to my heart. It’s a great way to vent and gain catharsis, you know? The story’s pretty whack and wild and I throw in a bunch of humour that seems to somehow land and make sense. It’s pretty hard to explain simply because it’s not structured like a traditional book, but more like anime - in which there’s a bunch of subplots and arcs and an over reaching plot. It’s just a huge story, and it’s only one of four in the series. I just finished it last week and am currently working on the first chapter for the sequel. Can you hear my tired crying? 

Oh my god. Wow. That is so interesting! Action, Romance, and Mystery.

It’s a bit unconventional.

No, it seems really interesting.

Thank you! It’s definitely a wild child but it’s my baby, lol.

No worries! And yes, books are always the author’s babies, lmao. I can’t hear you crying but I can for sure tell you’re tired.

Haha! Totally am.

How did you discover Wattpad, and do you write on any other platforms?

I actually can’t remember how I found wattpad, but I was definitely around 12-13. I’ve been on it for almost seven years now! I don’t write on any other platform but I have dabbled a bit in tumblr, but transferring all those links every time you publish something was just too much work. I also looked at archive of our own but the interface seemed super complicated. Wattpad’s just so easy and user friendly, even if it doesn’t work all the time

100% agreed. Although Wattpad does have some issues here and there, it’s still the best writing platform out there.
Can you tell us something special about you?

I really like cartoons! I’m in my first year of study to get a bachelor of animation. It’s been kind of hairy regarding everything that’s going on with covid though. It’s been a weird first year.

Woah, that’s so cool! What do you wish to do for a career? Does it have anything to do with writing, or maybe animation?

Both! I’m aiming to major in story and scriptwriting!

Omg that’s so cool! That’s legit my dream job, but I know it can never happen, lol.

You can do it! I believe in you!

Aw thank you! If your life was a book, what would it be called, and why? What would the plot look like?

‘Hot Garbage: An Autobiography.’
There would be no plot, just a bunch of vine references

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Woah, I didn’t know you could be so funny. And why do you think that’s what the book would be like?

Ah thank you, it’s my only redeeming quality. Probably because my life is a hot mess at the moment hahaaaaaa! I’ll blame covid but it really is just my poor management skills

Aw you can’t say that! From what I’ve seen, you’re a wonderfully splendid woman!

Naw shucks, you’re sweet. Thank you!

You’re welcome! If you could meet your favourite author, who would it be and why? What would you ask them?

I love Rick Riordan! I’d probably cheekily ask him if I could get a sneak peak at the behind the scenes of the Percy Jackson TV series that are currently being worked on!

Percy Jackson? Woahh! You have good taste in books, hehe.

Thank you! I love love love the Riordanverse! My own style of writing has definitely been influence by uncle Rick hehe.

Wow I’m sure your readers will be delighted to hear that! Maybe they’ll check out the Percy Jackson series if they haven’t already.

Rick Riordan is for sure the first author I recommend!

Yep, I’m sure your readers see that!
Why did you decide to rewrite TBE?

I first wrote TBE in 2017 and completed it early 2019. Because it was quite old and I was younger, my writing was unrefined and I didn’t get as emotionally moved as much as I’d like to. Reading it back just felt like it was lacking a certain spark. I know a bunch of who people tell me otherwise, but for me it was just so dull. I was really unhappy with it, especially since it was my most popular work, so I unpublished it. I was also drifting apart from the Ninjago fandom, so that didn’t help. Deciding to take it down was met with a lot of complaints! But I don’t regret it, as I started the rewrite in February of this year and my writing and ideas have just developed so much since that original version. I definitely couldn’t tell as an effective a story back in 2017-2019. 

I also noticed that I got a way better grasp on portrayed emotions. I also got funnier lol!! I guess the core reason for bringing it back out was that I got a lot of messages from people who read the original saying that it helped them through some tough times in their lives, and as someone who wrote a lot to help with my own tough spots, that just really meant the world to me. So while I hated the original version, I couldn’t deny that people did like it, so after a couple of months of it sitting in my drafts I decided to put it back out after editing.

Unfortunately, my version of ‘editing’ is actually ‘rewriting.’ What originally was 130,000 words turned into 400,000+ in 8 months. It was tough work, but a lot more people have privately messaged me about how much it means to them so that just made my hard work incredibly worth it. It’s crazy, but so, so heartwarming. I owe a lot to my readers.

Wow, I just shed a few tears. Sorry, don’t mind me, I get a little emotional at times. I’m glad you rewrote it, if that’s how it makes you feel.

Aww!! Don’t worry, I get super emotional too. I’ve reduced myself to tears more than once while writing. I’m really glad I rewrote it, too

Yes, it’s good you did so. You added more emotional, relationship tension, and stress, adding in another breakup between the protagonists. What made you do that?

I guess I just really wanted to see how far I could take their relationship. As people say, we love our characters by torturing them! Also torturing our readers too, apparently. My readers know that well lmao! Either I try to make them laugh or cry. Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly fresh, I'll try to make them laugh AND cry!

Aha all writers are like that, I believe. I can say the same for myself, haha. Are any of the characters you made yourself based off the people in your life?

A lot of my characters are based off of people close to me. I also often write scenarios that I've witnessed or been a part of in real life.

That just made it even more interesting!
Is it hard to interpret Ninjago’s original characters?

Not really. I've watched the show since I was thirteen so I've gotten pretty accustomed to how they'd react in certain situations. I probably know them better than most of my classmates haha!

Oh I can’t say the same for myself or my brother, and he loves Ninjago, so...

I am pretty obsessed. It's my comfort show, if you catch my drift

Yep, I get it. What is your mood when you write?

It changes depending on the chapter. I get really into it, so if I'm writing something sad, I get really sad. If i'm writing something happy or funny, you'll usually find me typing with a stupid grin on my face. It gets a little concerning when I'm writing out in public haha!!

Oh I can totally agree. Especially when my parents are in the room and I’m writing a happy scene. They get all suspicious and ask, 'Why you smiling?' Lol. When writing is there, anything special that you do such as listen to music, eat a favorite snack or something of that sort?

I usually listen to music. I have spotify playlists for each of my books! I'll especially put a song on repeat if it heavily applies to that chapter, or if it's playing in the background of a specific scene. It helps me get into the character's shoes more effectively.

Music is amazing, isn‘t it?

Absolutely!!

Imagine you’re a reviewer and you’re reviewing your book as someone else’s. What tips would you give to improve?

Actually proofread before impulsively pressing publish. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Omg I can 100% agree with that. Even when you read through it like 100+ times, your readers will still find mistakes. They have magic eyes, istg.

Autocorrect is my worst nightmare and best friend.

That. Is. So. True. Okay next question: Have you ever come across any bullies who posted negative comments regarding your work? If so, how did you deal with them? If not, what would you do if you encounter someone like that?

Oh, absolutely. That’s the thing about social media, anybody can say anything because they’re hiding behind a screen. I’ve gotten my fair share of rude comments. The best thing to do is to just not let them get to you. It’s difficult of course, especially when you pour your heart and soul into your work, but try to focus about the positives and forget what they said. Ignore them or even delete their comment. If it isn’t constructive criticism then they have no right to for you to keep it up, nor reply to. They’re usually just trying to get a reaction. Keep calm, collected and give yourself some time to clear your head before dealing with it.

Such wise advice. I haven’t received any hate comments, but I’m like 100% sure it’s because I only have like a few hundred reads. Do you follow a writing schedule?

Lol NOPE my life is in such disarray. I’ve tried to in the past but I could never keep to it. Things kept popping up and I’d never be able to stick to stuff. I realised that just posting when I could was far less stressful, especially since I’m not writing any of my books as a proper job or anything.

I agree. I tried to stick to one but it was just impossible.

Right? You’ve gotta be a special kind of organised for that. I am not.

Hehe me either. How would you describe your writing style?

Probably unconventional but comprehensive. I apply the usual rules when it comes to writing, but sneak in a few breaks to make it my unique style. Like, if a character is having a voice crack that’s intended for an amusing effect, I’ll put random capitals in liKe tHis or italicise a few select letters in their dialogue - a method I’ve yet to see in a proper published novel haha! Most of my best writing relies on dialogue. I try to keep it as natural as possible, adding in slang and contractions, stuff like that. Reading something where all the dialogue is perfect and precise makes me uncomfortable. They just seem like robots rather than real people, y’know? Unless that’s the intended purpose, then go right on ahead!

Yeah those simple dialogues make me uncomfortable too. People should show at least some emotion. To wrap up this interview: As you know we are called the Crazy Late Nighters Community. Would you consider yourself crazy and why?

I would absolutely consider myself crazy because the most success I’ve ever had in my life is for writing a x reader fanfic about a lego ninja  and that fanfic has 80 chapters

Aha no it's ok. You haven’t even grown yet. You’ll do great things in life, I can tell.

Aw thank you!! You’re so sweet 🥰🥰

Thank you! A lot of people have said that but I don't know where they got it from.

It’s because it’s true!!

Aw thank you! Well, Sam, this interview was fun. It literally flew by. I loved it! Thank you, from myself and the flock. 

I loved it too! Thank you for having me! 

No worries! The pleasure was all mine. 

Thanks heaps! Have a good day 

You too!