35. Half a Chance

Asena had no idea how long Ezlyn dug through her memories. When Ezlyn finally withdrew her magic, Asena choked on her sobs of relief. Blood dribbled from her nose and mouth. She drew in several deep breaths.

    Sweat dotted Ezlyn's dark brow. She smoothed a few frizzy wisps of hair out of her face. "I'm impressed. Your sister didn't put up that much of a fight." Ezlyn's eyes roved across her body. "You have been through much. You have been used."

    "I hope you enjoyed yourself," Asena rasped.

    Ezlyn tapped her chin with a finger. "Does your Faerie lover know how many humans you were with?"

    "He knows them all by name, not that it's any of your business."

    "And yet he doesn't find you tarnished? He still wants you, still loves you?"

    "Yes."

    "Interesting." For a moment, something similar to envy flashed across the Queen's features. "No one has ever thought to show me memories before. Usually, my victims simply try to force me out."

    Asena closed her eyes, not bothering to answer. She would rest while she could. "Where is the little girl?" She asked, her courage spiking momentarily.

    She heard Ezlyn walking around the room. Her wings fluttered ever so slightly. The soles of her shoes tapped against the stone floor. Her beaded gown rustled against her legs.

    "She is safe," Ezlyn said at last. "She's too young to be transformed into a Soleone. The process would kill her." The Queen stopped moving. "We learned that the hard way. Only adults seem to be able to handle the transformation."

    "Why don't you just turn your own people into Soleones? Why would you kidnap humans and use them?"

    "Some of our first Soleones were Faeries. The transformation didn't work right on them either. The Soleones were malformed and more bloodthirsty than I could have imagined. We could barely control them." Ezlyn was moving again. Asena cracked an eye open, watching her.

    "We tried transforming witches next. The Soleones looked perfect, but their instincts were still too strong. Humans came last and we found the perfect combination. Their weak minds are easy to control. Their lack of magic and calmer instincts made them more docile."

    Asena tucked the information away, hiding it beneath several dark memories. Hopefully, Ezlyn wouldn't try to wipe her mind. We could use this information, she thought.

    Ezlyn clapped her hands together and faced Asena once more. "All right. I believe you've rested long enough. We still have work to do." She gave her a sympathetic smile. "I wish you would have cooperated. You have a lovely face. I hate having to mess it up." Ezlyn strapped a leather belt over Asena's mouth. "Bite down when you scream. We wouldn't want to scare the little girl, or ruin your teeth, at least."

    Despite herself, Asena obeyed. She dug her teeth into the belt. Her gaze landed on the buckle. It wasn't iron...but it was metal. It had a few sharp edges. Her gaze fell to the chains around her wrists and ankles. She wiggled her hand in one cuff.

    If I do this just right, maybe I can get my hand free, she thought. As soon as Ezlyn leaves, I'll try. Asena gritted her teeth against the leather strap and prepared herself.

✦❘༻✦༺❘✦

    Snow blew across the land as they galloped towards the river. They hadn't stopped for any breaks. Iyan knew the horses were exhausted, but each time she mentioned resting, the horses only pushed themselves harder. Foam had iced over her dappled gray mare's lips.