24. A State of Nervousness

Iyan woke somewhat confused, before recalling where she was. Arius' arm was still wrapped around her waist. One of his hands was buried in her hair and his breath was warm against her neck.

    She looked to his balcony, trying to gain a sense of the time. The sun was already past its highest point. She guessed it was sometime early in the afternoon. Iyan rolled over, coming face to face with Arius.

    She traced the tattoos on his arm gently. "I love it when you do that," he mumbled with a drowsy smile. Iyan pressed a kiss to his inner wrist and got up.

    "It's much later than I thought," she explained. "I wouldn't be surprised if we receive some questions today."

    "Let them ask." Arius crossed his arms beneath his head and adjusted his wings. "We don't have to tell them anything."

    "They will automatically assume the worst."

    He glanced at her with a smirk. "Or the best, depending on who you ask."

    "Funny." She grabbed a pillow and threw it at him. He waved a finger and it disappeared with a puff of silver smoke. Iyan gasped as it knocked into the back of her head.

    "I will admit, you're not a very graceful sleeper." She threw the pillow at him again. This time, he simply caught it. "You mumble a lot. What were you dreaming about?"

    "At least I don't snore," she retorted, ignoring his question.

    "A small blessing. I don't think that would help your morning breath."

    Iyan tilted her head and placed her hands on her hips. "That is just a natural part of life and yours is worse than mine. See if I ever sleep with you again, arrogant Faerie bastard."

    "Naive little human." His cheeks flushed as he laughed.

    Iyan tossed her hair over her shoulder and stuck her tongue out at him. She ducked into the hallway and ran to her room. She changed into a tunic and pants, before brushing out her hair. With a second thought, she rinsed out her mouth and grabbed a mint leaf from her bathroom.

    She headed down the stairs and found Esen sitting in the dining room. "Do you mind if I join you?"

    "Not at all." Esen waved a hand and a steaming bowl of stew appeared before Iyan. She sat down and dug in. "Where were you all night? I was hoping for some company when I got up, but you were nowhere to be found. I even checked your room."

    Iyan merely gave her an innocent look. "Are Gabriel and Asena not up?"

    "Gabriel is, but not Asena. I didn't see Arius either." Esen smiled mischievously. Iyan narrowed her eyes. Esen grabbed her face and smelled her hair, suddenly.

    "What are you doing?" Iyan exclaimed.

    "I knew it!" Esen released her. "You were with Arius."

    "Did you just smell my hair?"

    "I did and it smelled like him. Tell me I'm wrong." Esen laughed as Iyan stared at her. "What happened? Please tell me."

    "Nothing happened."

    "Yeah, right."

    "I'm serious."

    "Serious about what?" They both turned as Arius entered the room. A bowl of stew appeared for him as well.

    "Were you together last night?" Esen prompted.