33. The Governor's Allegiance

They rode for three days, resting only a few hours at a time. The journey would've taken too long otherwise. Sparrowhaven had practically been a ghost town when they rode through it on their first day of traveling. Only a few people wandered the streets. Surprisingly, they hadn't given Iyan a second look. It was as if the people were walking shells.

    As they grew closer to Glensbrook, the population increased. Iyan and Sybella received many dirty looks and insults. A few people had tried to pull Asena off her horse. When they realized she was traveling with a witch and a Faerie willingly, the people treated her with just as much disgust.

    Asena and Sybella rode with slumped shoulders. Iyan flew above them, relishing the chance to stretch her wings. She let their location flash through her mind to Arius. We'll be there soon.

    Be careful.

    Have the Day Faeries attacked yet?

    No, but we can see their camps. I think the attack will come sometime tomorrow.

    Iyan sighed and bit her lip. We'll try to hurry. His presence faded from her mind. Iyan flew over the next ridge and gave a sigh of relief. Glensbrook was just up ahead. She circled down and mounted her horse once more. Sybella and Asena perked up, spying the town. The horses increased their pace and they rode on.

✦❘༻✦༺❘✦

    Governor Marcelle's personal guards escorted them through the streets. Iyan kept her wings tucked close, sensing the iron weapons they carried. Sybella had said iron wouldn't be very harmful to her, but she was taking no chances, especially with her wings.

    A tiny shout caught her attention. Iyan looked down. A crowd had formed to watch them. Near the front of it stood a familiar little girl. Vi waved excitedly and yanked on her father's sleeve. "Papa, that's the lady with the fiery hair! Remember her?" The man nodded and was watching her warily. Iyan gave them a small smile and waved.

    They reached Governor Marcelle's manor shortly. Iyan dismounted and waited for Asena and Sybella. A guard moved towards her horse. Iyan held up a hand, stopping him.

    "You need only remove their saddles and bridles," Iyan instructed. "Let them stay loose. They won't cause any trouble."

    The guard nodded and began to remove the saddle from her dappled mare. Iyan brushed a hand down the horse's muzzle. If there is danger, protect yourself, Iyan thought. The mare blinked her acknowledgment.

    Iyan rejoined the group. Two guards stopped them at the front door. "Your weapons, please."

    Iyan bit her lip, then removed her daggers and sword belt. She handed them to the guards. Sybella and Asena followed her lead. "No magic in the house, Faerie," one guard sneered. "You either, Witch."

    Sybella's silvery gold eyes flashed. "I can cast a spell on you without you even realizing it. Don't tempt me." The guard fell silent.

    A butler greeted them inside. "This way," the butler said. He started down a hallway. Iyan matched pace with him and heard the clumping of boots behind her. More guards had joined them.

    They reached a large office. The butler held open the door. Governor Marcelle was sitting at her desk. Two other people sat with her. Guards filed into the room behind Iyan, Asena, and Sybella. The door clicked shut.

    "I've been expecting you." Governor Marcelle clasped her hands together. Her piercing amber gaze locked on Iyan. "News travels quickly when there are Faeries venturing beyond the Vetiti."