chapter seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.
( BAD IDEAS.. )

Ever since Ella had got her grades, she had been staring at them. It wasn't entirely healthy and her friends had managed to distract her from most of it but as she sat in the Common Room on her lunch break, she couldn't help but feel inadequate. Her potions grade had improved but not nearly as much. Not nearly as good as she expected. Most of her grades were worse than she expected them to be but she couldn't get Potions out of her head. She had done so much with Potions to try and help her. But nothing worked.

So, she decided as she sat in the common room that she was going to try and make some of the basic potions in her own time. She didn't want to ask Slughorn to use the potions classrooms or for ingredients since he was well... Slughorn. He only liked a few students and Ella was not one of those students. That meant going to the Forbidden Forest and then mixing in the bathroom of her dorm was her next best option. She could also have spoken to her father about getting some herbs but as far as she could tell, he had yet to apologise to her mother. So, their conversations would be limited to the classroom as far as she was aware.

Once she had got to her dorm and switched to new clothes, Ella emptied her satchel and casted a protective charm that would mean that it wouldn't be damaged by the various plants that were put inside it. She didn't want any issues since the satchel was her only one. Getting it dirty with soil was bad enough as it is.

Ella then headed out of the Common Room, taking the steps down and heading towards the entrance towards the Forbidden Forest. However, as she walked, she passed right by her father's office. She slowed as she came up to the door, curious as to what he was doing and she found that he was standing and watching. The pair made awkward eye contact before Ella averted her gaze and tried to rush away but a hand grabbed her arm,

The brunette whipped around to look up at her father. His brown hair styled messily that day in an attempt to cover his exhausted look but it was only emphasised it more. The dark circles under his eyes and the bloodshot look clearly gave it all away.

"How are you, Ella?" He asked quickly as she pulled her arm from his grip. She shrugged and stepped back from him, moving to turn away, "Have you spoken to your mother?" He added after a moment. Desperate to just have a conversation with his daughter. His words almost pleading. Ella turned to face him again, her head slightly tilted.

"Have you spoken to her?" Ella asked as she let her hand rest against her satchel. Her fingers fiddling with the buckle as she waited to see his response. She already knew what it would be but she wanted to see how much he would lie first. Her father had abandoned her so she had no doubt he would lie about this.

"No. I haven't had the chance with work. I just wanted to talk to you. You're my daughter after all and I just want to be able to connect," He said quickly getting his words out. He was almost frantic, looking around the corridor before he sighed. His arms relaxing as he spotted somebody. Ella didn't even bother to look and instead stepped back.